So Many Depressing Things..But a New Beginning.

pekinduck<3er

Songster
9 Years
Aug 5, 2010
Florida the Sunshine Spot!
So...I think i'll just Start from the Very Beginning.
When it all started, I didn't even like Ducks..I just didn't. I didn't have any interest in them all becuase I didn't even know you could have them as pets! Well...My little cousin, Ruby, got herself 2 little Pekin Ducklings from the Feed Store, naming them Donald and Daisy. They grew up fast I was told(Soon I would know of how fast they grew too) and soon began to grow feathers, that is when they were put outside, where they had no coop or anything. Just a Fence to protect them from anythimg...But they had a little playset that had a pol set into it and a little overhead and some hay to keep them warmer from the rain and for sleeping..But it was still a horrible place to keep them.. =/ ... Well, that's when I became infatuated with Ducks..I don't know why..Maybe becuase it was so weird to have ducks or becuase I was just jealous of her...Sadly I don't know. But soon I begged my parents to let me have soem..They said no and I said if I got on the A/B Honor Roll I could get some(Only two)..Well I did, and I ordered 2 tiny Cayuga Ducklings(Male,Female) from Metzer Farms in the Fall back in 2010. Then my dad started to build their coop..(We live in a heavily wooded area FULL of many predators) The baby's had arrived a Week earlier and my Dad was nearly done with their Coop..Which saddened me deeply, I didn't want my Babys to leave, but they would have to in a week or two..So they went out when they had outgrown their fairly large cage! I let them leave, sadly, and they took to it in a day..They still loved it when I came around though, and would let me pick them up :) And they were the Most Quiet and Affectionate ducks I had seen(Hadn't seen much..). Well one day I was on Ebay(8 months later the Female started to lay eggs) and saw a cheap little incubator. I bought it and it was shipped to my house where I already had 2 eggs ready for it. I put them in it and they soon began to grow, happily I would candle them, every once and a while writing down their progress.. Well, one soon died off and the other survived to hatching time. It hatched out to my suprise and I was excited, Very excited.. :( Well, I let my happiness get the best of me and I chipped a piece of the shell to help the baby, slowly. But I hit a blood vessel... :'( And it bled from the shell and died the next morning..And that morning I had forgotten to put my Ducks up..And when I woke up at 7 am to let them out, I found, Honey my female was gone. Leaving Trouble alone, by his kiddie pool. He looked so sad..I cried right there knowing what had happened to my Sweet, Sweet Honey Bun..I cried desperately and went out into the hot woods to search for her, and my mom had already came out at that time crying but had to leave not wanting to cry even more(My dad hadn't even woke up)..I tredged through the thick woods, searching and calling out her name(she would come to it) desperately....I searched for hours into the morning, soon becoming lost and sweating(not crying anymore for I had no more tears..)..Then, all of the sudden I heard my Dad's whistle..I ran in that direction soon coming to him in about 10 or so minutes..I was in tears again and my dad brought me back inside, knowing we would never find my sweet honey...I cried in his arms so hard, him trying to comfort me made it worse, but it was the most heart wrenching thing that happened with me and my dad..
~~
Soon, school was about to start again and my Parents had ordered me 3 more little Ducklings from Metzer Farms. All girls for Trouble(Who was brought inside so he wouldn't be lonely) which was 1 Buff, 1 Cayuga, and 1 Blue swedish. I brought them out to him, which to my amazement he would herd them around and guard them from everything..But they had to stay inside for a couple more weeks..Well when they went out to him, he was in TOTAL love. :) It was very happy for me not to see him hanging around his pool(to where Honey was dragged off from) sadly drinking away.. Well days went on and all was well..Until May 26, 2012 while I was at a Local water park with my friends(mom was home) My Cayuga girl, Sugar, was killed around 5:00 pm..In broad daylight..This is when teh Tropical Storm, Beryl was now hitting Jacksonville and was directly over us.. Well I didn't call my parents all day becuase I was at the water park, but when my mom came(i thought agrily) to the water park to come get me, she told me one of my ducks had been killed..I cried right there infront of all my friends(They all asked about the ducks)..My friends comforted me in many ways trying to get me to smiel, I sent my mom away trying to stay at one of my friends houses..But when we went to left I had to be taken home by a friends mom becuase of something..But I went home that night, drifting off to sleep, sadly..
Well on Sunday I talked about all the good times I remembered of Sugar and when my ducks were just tiny ducklings..My dad said I could get some more..That made me sad, but I knew Trouble would like another girl..Or Girls. Well, the next day We ordered(all girls) 1 Black swedish and 1 Buff..Now they will arrive on June 6th..It has made me excited and less sad to have some little fluffy butts running around my sad house..But I know I will never, ever forget Homey or Sugar..(I didn't get another Cayuga becuase my mom thinks they're cursed and it will end up getting killed again..-_-) Well..I want revenge on my Duckies..But that will never happen..But just now we caught a Racoon that has been eating our eggs, and I think it took sugar, in our trap...We'll of course release it, but I hope that none of my Ducks will ever get killed again..And just 2 weeks ago My Buff duck, Buffy, got attacked..(But I think it was a Stupid Grey Cat...>.>)..Leaving a Gash in her wing.. :'( But she is better now...Thankfully. :3
~~
When the Baby's Arrive, I will of Course Post pics everyday.. :3 This will be my Log of the Ducklings Life.

I have already thought of their Names~

Ebony and Sunny~

Usually around our neck of the woods (man that sounds so redneckish lol) we kill any varmits that steal eggs or kill animals. Even me, being the kind hearted girl that I am, would shoot a raccoon(or anything else) trying to eat any of my animals!
somad.gif

So sorry for your losses. Guess it's bound to happen sooner or later when you have ducks that get let out. Luckily I have had no run-ins YET with these pesky varmits! Today when my guys were out in their fenced in area foraging a red tailed hawk flew over head and the Gander let out the warning call and everybody hightailed it back to the coop.....including me! lmao Was bent over cleaning their pool and he scared the daylights out of me!

Usually around our neck of the woods (man that sounds so redneckish lol) we kill any varmits that steal eggs or kill animals. Even me, being the kind hearted girl that I am, would shoot a raccoon(or anything else) trying to eat any of my animals!
somad.gif

So sorry for your losses. Guess it's bound to happen sooner or later when you have ducks that get let out. Luckily I have had no run-ins YET with these pesky varmits! Today when my guys were out in their fenced in area foraging a red tailed hawk flew over head and the Gander let out the warning call and everybody hightailed it back to the coop.....including me! lmao Was bent over cleaning their pool and he scared the daylights out of me!
I am the same kind of way :) I would shoot anything trying to get my Ducks! Just before Sugar was killed, a Raccoon Chased my Ducks and I saw out from my Window and ran otside yelling and chasing the stuppid critter..
somad.gif

Oh My! A RedTailed Hawk D: We have a few 'round here(Country -_-')! Are Geese good watchdogs? Becuase I was wondering on getting one..

hmm,,geese eh? would geese be ok with mixed breeds,like calls,pekins and rouens?
I worry every night of raccoons, I used to love racoons before the chicken/duck years..now I see them as a great enemy
rant.gif

I'm sorry you have faced so much loss.. it's upsetting no doubt! I have learned that owning poultry seems to mean coping with loss due to various reasons, it can be a bit hard to take though. Best of luck with your new ones!

Same with Me! (I was actually scared of them before though... -_-') That's why I also was thinking about the Geese thing, but they would be fine if they grew up with your ducks I suppose or some other way..
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom