So many questions- LGD and fox- Please help!!

I use dogs and fencing very effectively against foxes. My elder dogs first encounter against a fox was when dog was about 6 months old and was made easier by fox being focused on a cockerel he was trying to steal. Dog ran up on fox from behind and actually had a hold of a bit before fox managed to free itself and escape. Dog was bitten in process. Since then we have killed two foxes and fences may make the dog's job easier. The fencing made up of perimeters of simply high tensile hot-wire and electrified causes fox to take predictable routes the dogs can take advantage of to intercept fox. Fencing, even though semipermeable to chickens still provides some measure of cover until the dogs can get there. I use two dogs which is really handy with fast evasive bad guys like a fox.

I recently got a 2 year old Great Pyrenees. We've been losing chickens to a fox (possibly more than one). She's still got some puppy in her behavior, but when she sees that fox or hears it, she goes on alert and barks. However, I'm having trouble keeping her inside the fence on my property. She's great with our ducks, but chases the chickens. So, I have to tether her for the time being, when I'm not out there working on her training.

Her barking doesn't keep the fox away, and we lost one hen because it got out of the run. This past weekend though, the fox came out while I was brushing my Pyr. I told her "Go get him!", then ran toward the fox. She looked at me for a second, then took off!

As others have said, at 5 months, yours is still a puppy. It's instincts will kick in after it gets older, I'm sure. Until then, I'm sure your customers and chickens would be okay with a portable run.

Another thought ... It takes awhile for a dog to realize that he/she is no longer a visitor at your house, but that it is actually their home, and their duty to protect it!

Give your new huge fluffy cuddly puppy a chance to grow up and make you proud! :)

How was the wind? WAs it really dry or some dampness. Did the dog actually see the fox, or able to catch it's scent? How did the parents work the flock? Just a deterrent or did they give chase and actively defend?

Other than being young and possibly not acclimated to it's new territory, scent cones are very important for dogs. Visual helps, but scent and genes seems to be key.

There's a second fear period in a dog's development that starts right around 6 months old. In well bred dogs of stable temperament this shouldn't manifest as full blown fear responses but might be seen as hesitancy or wariness around new things/experiences. This might account for why she didn't take any action directed at the fox. Act as you want her to act. Show her what she should do in new situations. She will come through this stage confidently and her instincts will eventually kick in.

Sounds like it's time to build covered runs for your birds. I don't know much about the type of dog you have, but at 5 months, she's still pretty young to take on a fox, I would think.
A 5 month old pyranees is what, 50 lbs? And at 5 months shes almost sexually mature - shes not a baby, shes a teenager.

She doesn't need to take it on, she just needs to show interest and the fox will take off. For the time being, the birds should stay inside until you get this sorted out though.

You need to start training the dog. You need to encourage it to chase things that come in the yard that aren't your pets, and to bark at things on the perimeter. When it does these things, treat it. In typical livestock operations, puppies are trained by older dogs - they learn by doing. They don't just "know".

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom