So no-one gets why it upset me, it was my favorite one.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by feather and mountain man, Oct 4, 2011.

1. feather and mountain man

feather and mountain man Corn fed Indiana farmgirl

Jan 17, 2010
    Today

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Nah....I don't like it when other people touch my knife either. [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Honestly? If this is important in five years, no you didn't. But your post speaks to the fact that your mother gave it to you and it WAS an awesome knife. As far as awesome knives go? Yeah maybe you are. I DO get why you are upset, I am cook. Or I cook for pleasure, not business and I would just about kill for some nice knives. I am sure he thought he was helping you. Doing something nice for you.

Kinda like my fish dinner Ken cooked for me once. Once. Thank you honey, that was delicious!!! [​IMG]

4. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Maybe the "sharpening" was covering evidence of it being damaged from inappropriate use. Been there. Either way, certain knives and scissors are simply the untouchables, though the lengths that the culprits will go to to cover damages is amazing.

5. featherfinder

featherfinder Runner Lover

I would be upset to. I have the same thing in my house. My fiance is a chef and he use to cook for a living and is really good at it. He has "his" Knifes and i am not allowed to touch them. I also have my set (not as expensive or good as his but i like the) Included are a bunch of random ones and he tried to throw them away on my once. I about had a cow! lol

6. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    So, your FIL knows how to sharpen a knife but doesn't know that you don't sharpen a serrated knife without a special sharpener?

I would be POed too. I have damaged plenty of good knives doing stupid stuff, and unless you are really good at reshaping, they are never the same. That's why I like cheap carbon steel. Very easy to sharpen, with a few strokes.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh, sure, Featherfinder, you certainly can TOUCH them but don't use them! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I can relate to you all about someone else using your knives and ruining them. I had a very expensive knife that I just love and hubby was cutting wood with it. [​IMG] Why in the heck can't you use your power hand saw or hand saw to cut off a bit of notch on your wood project?! (it was a wood ship model display...I think it was the USS Constitution)

I told him next time ASK and I will refer him to the appropriate tooll downstairs in the basement in his workshop!

8. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    It doesen't matter if they can understand why you are upset about it.... the fact is that everyone has things that are special and important to them and those feelings go beyond the actual physical item itself. Abusing property that you made clear was important to you is them being DISRESPECTFUL of your feelings, DISRESPECTFUL of you, and that's not trivial!

You break something special to someone... YOU REPLACE that same exact item out of your own pocket.... Because it's the RIGHT THING to do!!!!

9. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    my knives have this note:

Verily,Thou canst cutteth with thine knives!

My wife and kids cant understand what it means so they dont go near them. [​IMG]

10. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    [​IMG]

I'm stealing that for something [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by