So no-one gets why it upset me, it was my favorite one.

DO NOT may I repeat DO NOT mess with my knives! Yeah, I'm like that. How does such a defense/protective feeling towards knives develop.

It was rude and disrespectful of him to sharpen your knife mostly because he destroyed the serrated edge.

The question is WHY? Why in heavens name did he feel the need to sharpen your knife? I'm assuming he lives with you. Like was said, he may have damaged it somehow and hoped to cover it up by sharpening it. I would be upset too if I were in your shoes, but it is already done. You can carry a grudge or you can work on getting past it.

Take it to a professional to see if it can be repaired. It won't be the same but it may be the best that can be done.

FIL is probably feeling pretty defensive now. He lives with you?? Find out what he was thinking in a non complaining, non accusing manner. Find out what happened. It seems odd he would randomly sharpen your knife.

I would be very upset. Especially with him being so rude. Even if he didn't apologize, he could at least aknowledge that you're upset. I don't think you're overreacting, if he HAD apologized and you were still upset, maybe, but him just sticking his nose up in the air? I'd be pretty upset too.

Call a good knife sharpener - call the best resturant in the area and ask who their chefs use. They MIGHT be able to repair your knife, or at least to a good condition.

Then, have FIL pay for the repair.

I understand. I had my father's lunch box which he took to work every day. Just a tupperware box. but my dad died when I was 12, and I used the box for various things when I left home, each time I used it I thought of him. I don't have many photos of him (3, in fact) because my mother has the photo albums and isn't sharing. So when my then-husband put dad's box on the cooker and turned it on, I was inconsolable. his response to melting dad's box, something he knew was irreplaceable, was "huh. It's just an old box. Get over it" and acting hurt that I was upset and angry at him.

So yes, I understand. And I'm sorry about your knife

I absolutely understand why you are upset. This was your knife. The reaction you got did not validate the feelings you are having. I had to have a talk with my family about respect for other peoples stuff. I sat my family down explained that just because an item has no value to them does not mean it has no value to me! Talk with your FIL and explain your feelings to him and let him know that his reaction hurt your feelings.
hugs.gif

He is sounding like when my grandfather was starting to suffer Alzheimers, to tell you the truth. Might not be that, but a mental eval might be a good thing if you can convince him to do it (unless you have power of attorney and can make him see a doctor).

I get grouchy too when somebody messes with my scissors. I am left handed and right handers just mess them , i also have certain ones for certain tasks. NEVEREVER mess with a womans cutting utensils!!!!!!
somad.gif

That sounds a bit like my grandfather when he was getting older.

He came to live with us for a few years after nana and he got a very late in life divorce. He was ok for a while, and I know my mother enjoyed having him around after so many years in different countries... but when he declined a bit more, it started with us kids. He couldn't get in trouble from us, so we were his first option for being snarky to.
Then, finally, there was an incident one evening at the dinner table with mom present. He got very irrationally angry because she had given him the biggest steak
lol.png
. He said he couldn't eat the whole thing. So mom scooted his plate over to herself and started to cut the steak in half. Then he really went off the handle. The night ended with wine glasses being thrown and mom having a cut wrist from the flying glass. Craziness.

What it came down to in the end, is no matter how much someone loves their elderly parents, if there are kids and spouses in the house that have to deal with it too, the elderly parent might just need their own place or an assisted home to go to.

Back
Top Bottom