So peas and chickens can they get along ???

kmsek

Songster
8 Years
Feb 3, 2011
N Fla
My peas and chickens share a large enclosure wall off by poultry netting can they be together my game hens want to hang out around peas when they are free ranged peas are no allowed out yet ????

Hmm, as far as i know, the chickens won't compain about the peas
wink.png

I found that if you have peas in with chickens they are really easy to catch chicken diseases, mainly coccsidiosis,and black head. i bought 2 grown green peafowl one year and i put them with my chicken's and within 2 weeks they both died.

I have mine around chickens as they free range here, even though peas are picky eaters they will wolf down a chicken chip like a dog so they expose themselves to all kinds of things, i worm mine every 2 to 3 months with safeguard for goats depending on the weather and 2 times a year i use ivemec just for safe measure.

I raise my babies with chicken chicks and guinea keets if i happen to have some hatch at the same time and have never had issues but i keep my pens very clean.

We had chickens long before we had peafowl. although still new to peafowl - our chicks (4-5 months old) are in the same coop as our chickens. they are separated by chicken wire for now, the chickens are free range and i just open the door in the morning. not ready to free range the peas yet. but when we're ready the wall will come down so they can go out too. but thats the only reason they're separated for now.

We take preventative measures, worming and antibiotics to both chickens and peafowl when they first arrived. and we've never had a problem. we did loose one peachick when we first got them, but they'd been inside and never seen the chickens so i don't think it had anything to do with them. we too will worm them 3-4 times a year. and when we worm them i also give them antibiotics (preventative dose). i'd brather prevent sickness than treat it. and i think if you take the precautions you'll have no problems.

Back
Top Bottom