So Pleased to Say Hello!

@HomesteaderWife

To answer you questions....

We live up in Maine, currently central, and our future homestead and is more coastal, one side of the land is on a tidal river.

Growing up my family raised rabbits, chicken, ducks and pigs and had a medium sized garden. My husband and I are hoping to eventually do all these things and more. Eventually I'd like to (in addition to the above critters) have geese, pigeons, bees, a cow or two and and a donkey. We want to expand the small garden my dad has and build a greenhouse, also plant berry patches, a permaculture food forest, and promote the growth of native plants that support wild pollinators and other wildlife. There is also an old apple orchard on the land that we want to rehabilitate, along with planting some other fruit and nut trees. My dad has a little sugar shack, so we'll be helping him with that, and we'd like to build a smoke house too. Soooo many plans.

Of course we're trying to be realistic and plan to start off small with just a few birds and rabbits and a good sized garden.

I love doing crafty stuff and am definitely planning of working on other income streams like etsy. We'd eventually like to produce enough to be able to sell at farmer's markets and I love cooking (having worked in kitchens for over ten years previous to becoming a pharmacy technician) so I'd love to find a way to make money with that..... maybe teach cooking classes or do farm to table dinners. Oh, and cheese! I love cheese and have made mozzarella and ricotta before and really want to learn more about cheese making. Hence the wanting to have cows, I would go with goats as I know they are generally more economical for homesteading, but a.) I just adore big brown cow eyes, and more importantly b.) my mom has an allergy to goat milk.

So, as you can see we have big dreams/plans. Thank you so much for you interest and the kind welcome!

Back
Top Bottom