So Pleased to Say Hello!

AmesHillFarm

Songster
Jan 31, 2020
Hello all!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I grew up on a small family farm and we had chickens, but it's been quite a few years since then.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
Zero. I currently live in a rental that has no yard at all and in a city that has ordinances against barnyard animals. However, we are moving back to my childhood home and starting a homestead this spring. My husband and I have been reading and watching all sorts of info on homesteading life. I suspect this forum will be a great resource going forward. We are planning on starting small, but work our way up to having a pretty good number of chickens.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Again, none. We're interested in having both laying hens and meat birds. Plus I wouldn't mind having some fancy breeds in the flock. I love birds! Eventually I'd like to add ducks, geese, and pigeons to the farm too.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I love watching birds just do their thing. My dad keeps some roosters to keep down the tick population around the house and when we visit I can just watch them for hours. Also, I'm really looking forward to having eggs and meat that came from birds we raised ourselves. I'm an unapologetic meat eater, but I hate the cruelty of factory farms and want to be as self sufficient as possible food wise.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Reading, writing, art and craft projects, cooking/baking, and tabletop gaming.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I currently live with my husband, our terrier mix Lillie, and our cat Gustavus Adolphus King of the Northland. I'm a pharmacy technician currently, when we move I'm going to look for a part-time job and spend as much time as possible on the farm.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Googled "best place to buy hatching eggs" and a thread from the forum came up in the results. Knew I should join right away.

@AmesHillFarm - We're so glad to have you, a big welcome! We're so pleased to say hello to you too! :welcome

Wow, it's great to hear about someone wanting to learn more about homesteading and becoming more self-sufficient. We all need some training in that- it's good for character! Best wishes on your upcoming move and getting settled into building a nice place for you and your family. Where are you from?

You mentioned looking for part time work in order to spend time on your homestead. Do yourself some good research on hobbies to get into on your farm that can make income too! Alot of people down here where I am seem to make well on farm-fresh produce, honey, and goat's milk soaps. Berries are a big thing too because of how few the farms are- folks charging $10-$15 on average per gallon of berries. Consider testing your crafting abilities to potentially sell at craft shows or online.

With a goal to raise chickens in mind for starters, what other goals do you have for your property? Psst...here's some great info- BYC has sister websites!
- The Easy Garden - lots of great info on crops and flowers and even help identifying pests
- BackYard Herds - these folks know their herd animals, so if ever considering goats, sheep, pigs, cows, equines, rabbits, and bees please check this out!
- SufficientSelf - BYC's little sister community of sufficient folks and lots of great ideas/chat here

welcomeimage.png

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Nice introduction! Good luck on your move, sounds like you have an exciting future ahead of you!

If you have any questions along the way about getting set up or after you get your birds, please feel free to ask as many questions as needed. Welcome to our community! :)

Back
Top Bottom