So quickly

I suggest with punctured bird you begin a regimen with an antibiotic. Such internalized wounds are prone infection especially when foreign material such as feathers are actually inside bird. You will not be able to see them is it is the case. Treatment needs to start before bird looses interest in drinking. Also keep in a dry location that neither hot nor cold (lower 60's to middle 70's best). If fever develops, then make so bird has access to a heat source like a heat lamp or even a heat rock like used for lizards. Make bird can get away from if it needs to. Also spice up diet with a little more variation as provided by raw greens and quality animal protein. The yogurt silliness may also prove very effective in promoting feed intake and help with restoration of gut flora after antibiotic regimen ceases.

Teacherpea- How are Lucky and Mary? I have a plucky hen that survived 2 raccoon attacks before I got my coop secured( Fort Knox), so I feel for you and your family.

Hey chixmaidservice, they're hanging in there. They're both eating and drinking; I can tell they're getting antsy though. They're both pacing quite a bit and making a lot of clucking sounds. Some even sound like they're crying! I didn't put neosporin on them today just the blue kote. Their wounds are pretty big and look like holes. I don't know when to put them back outside; I don't think I should yet, but like I said I think they are getting pretty antsy. ..

They will be antsy I am sure but I would just consider whether their wounds are oozing and if they are, id definitely not let them out with the others. Eggster whined too and some of it could be pain related.

I got the girls some duramycin (sp?) today, and I mixed it up with their water. I thought I read somewhere that I shouldn't give them any dairy while they are on the antibiotic. Is that true? If not, do I have to worry about the antibiotic messing with their stomachs? Also, how long do I give them this for? Thanks again~
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom