so sad. lost my sweetest chicken. Help on netting?

This time of year you may not be able to find netting locally. Seems like they only stock it in spring. The stuff I got at Lowes last year was very thin although a good price for a large amount. I got better stuff off Amazon (they deliver fast and no running all over). I think it was called wildlife netting, not bird netting, and had 1" squares of plasticy stuff, easy to roll out and attach, plus the birds can see it and avoid getting tangled. I attach it to my fence top with binder clips, so I can take it off if needed. Good luck. For awhile there I was using yellow caution tape strung like you did your twine.

When a hawk visits my birds, I lock them in their safe coop and run for two weeks, and once it was three weeks, until that bird moves on. Being outside with your flock won't save them!!!
Mary
I agree. We have a blueberry patch next to the coops. One day the birds were out and one was in the blueberries with me when a hawk came down and killed her not 10 feet away from me. It happened so fast I really didn't have time to react but it did fly off leaving my dead bird. I do have netting covering very large pens.

UPDATE:
HAWK CAME BACK. We don’t have many options where i live. I tried Lowe’s, Home Depot, Fred Meyer & our only sporting goods store. I can try Walmart tomorrow.
I've purchased netting from amazon in past. Thought Id mention just incase Walmart in your area doesn't have any. And if you don't have Amazon option you can order online through Walmart web page since I'm thinking they only carry it online and not in store. :) In my local Walmart it's offered online only.

Sorry, you're having hawk issues. We use plastic garden fencing that we bought at Lowes over our run. It's basically just plastic chicken wire but it's lightweight so won't sag or anything in the middle of the run. It's not very pretty to look at but it'll definitely keep out a hawk.
Untitled.jpg

I've purchased netting from amazon in past. Thought Id mention just incase Walmart in your area doesn't have any. And if you don't have Amazon option you can order online through Walmart web page since I'm thinking they only carry it online and not in store. :) In my local Walmart it's offered online only.
Same here. I ended up getting mine from eBay. I put in a max bid and was surprised I got it.

Back
Top Bottom