so sad.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momlife+chicks, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Momlife+chicks

Momlife+chicks Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Virginia
    I’m so heartbroken right now! I’ve had my chicks for 2 weeks and I had a friend and her kids over and we were helping my son with a project he has for school. Well one of the kids left the door open and her older son (16) went to play with the chicks and their husky had one in her mouth. She didn’t make it and I’m so sad. I feel horrible. I went upstairs and my 3 year old followed me and started crying his eyes out. The 16 year old took his shirt off and wrapped the chick it in and we buried it. This is my first time with chicks, is there anything I need to do to make sure the other ones are okay? When I got them the people said the have to be in at least groups of 4 or they could die, is that true?

Abriana likes this.
  2. Abriana

Abriana Spicy Sugar Cookie

Apr 26, 2017
    Fools Gold
    I’m so sorry about your loss :hugs I lost a chick when a rock fell on her six days after I got chicks. It was absolutely heartbreaking.
    No, as long as chicks have at least one other bird, they will be totally fine. However, the more the better. That way if something happens to one+ you will have more to keep the remaining ones company.

sourland likes this.
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Crossing the Road

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    As long as the rest of the chicks weren't injured, they should be fine. The people you got them from were feeding you a line. You don't need to have them in groups of four or more.

Abriana and sourland like this.
  4. Momlife+chicks

Momlife+chicks Chirping

Mar 20, 2018
    Virginia
    I’m so upset! I was looking at more today when I went to get their food and decided against getting more because 4 was enough but now after losing one I want to go get more, but here you have to get a minimum of 4 at most places and a minimum of 6 at the other places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: