so sad..:(

catballou24

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 25, 2007
Austin, TX
well...we were hoping it wouldn't happen, but the neighbor's dog got into the back and somehow managed to corner our rooster. my 4 year old daughter found him up on the neighbor's steps (she loves to go over and hang out with the lady across the street)...
sad.png
i feel terrible because i didn't double check the gate after the kids i take care of left. and the birds were free ranging in the back. i'm usually always so careful about that....
he.gif
barnie.gif
anyway, we were going to get rid of that rooster anyway - there is a farm around here who were going to take him. but i still hate losing chickens..
sad.png
and i feel so guilty that i wasn't more careful. i'm keeping them cooped today just in case the dog decides he wants more later. it is a real wake-up call though to the fact that even though we don't have to deal with coyotes and too many other predators around here (like we did on the farm we lived on last year and lost all our chickens), the sweet dog across the street is still doing what is in her nature...gotta be extra careful. i feel terrible for that poor bird...
hit.gif

as for my daughter, after living on the farm she understands that animals die and wasn't too upset. my 20 month old was very sad though when my husband buried him. she kept saying to me the rest of the night, "chicken die....daddy put in dirt".
sad.png
i felt badly for her as this is her first lesson on all this.

Awwwww, im so sorry. I am sure your 4 yr old was upset as well. How terrible for her to have to find the roo like that. WE ALL make mistakes...dont beat yourself up over it. As horrible as it sounds...it was meant to be. He is in GODS flock now....with many others.

How is it possibly your fault the NEIGHBORS dog got into YOUR yard and killed YOUR bird?????

Why is the dog loose in the world to get in peoples yard and kill chickens???

Next time the dog gets in the yard kill it and let them find it on their front steps. Explain how sorry you are that your chickens retaliated "gansta" style. The district attourney is holding a hearing to investigate possible associations with the Mafia, Chicks or the Broods.
lol.png

i didn't make sure the back gate was latched all the way and we live in a neighborhood where some of the dogs can get out and wander around. everyone knows everyone else's dog, so it was really sad but i still consider it my fault because i should have made sure the gate was latched...
sad.png
it's a hard lesson to learn for sure...
The district attourney is holding a hearing to investigate possible associations with the Mafia, Chicks or the Broods.

lol.png

Any dog that doesn't know how to behave needs to be kept away. What if your daughter had been out there and went to save her rooster?

yeah...i had thought of that and as much as i'd like to believe the dog wouldn't do anything to the kids, put a rooster between them and it may be a different story..
sad.png

dh went and got locks for the front gate and the back gate so the kids can't just open them without us knowing. we are going to keep both gates closed at all times from now on....and i told dh about the super soaker idea and he's all for that.

Quote:
I water-train my dogs and it works surprisingly well! For now I'm just using a mini squirt bottle for little things (eyeing food, barking incessantly after being told to stop, etc.), but the supersoaker is not a bad idea!

I'm sorry for your loss. Don't beat yourself up at all--these things happen and the 'woulda coulda shoulda' game will just eat you up. :aww

Back
Top Bottom