So, safe to assume my pullets have worms?

ChickN00b

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 22, 2013
The last few days my two girls have been having runny poop. It'd squirt out and was very audible when it happened unlike before when they'd poop out a solid form and I'd never know unless I saw them. Anyways, one of the girls just pooped and I was going to clean it up and saw tiny little clear things moving around. There were multiple and not just one and when I say tiny, I mean they were tiny so not like a big long worm. We just got them about a month back and this is the first time they've had these constant runny poops so I assume now, they have worms right?
sad.png

They still eat a lot and remain energetic at least but it's a shame. Anyone know what the go-to medicine for this is? This will be the first time I've ever had to deal with worming chicks

Purchase safeguard liquid goat wormer at your feed store to worm them. Use a syringe without a needle to worm each bird individually. Dosage is 1/2cc orally undiluted for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Redose them again in 10 days. Pull the wattles down and the mouth will open. Squirt the liquid in the mouth and immediately let go of the wattles so the bird can swallow the liquid on her own. If you dont release the wattles right away, the hen could aspirate.

Last edited:
Purchase safeguard liquid goat wormer at your feed store to worm them. Use a syringe without a needle to worm each bird individually. Dosage is 1/2cc orally undiluted for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Redose them again in 10 days. Pull the wattles down and the mouth will open. Squirt the liquid in the mouth and immediately let go of the wattles so the bird can swallow the liquid on her own. If you dont release the wattles right away, the hen could aspirate.

Ah thanks. One of the girls is much younger though and her wattles haven't really come in yet. She wasn't the one who pooped the worms but I've heard everywhere it's best to worm them at once. I guess I'll have to figure out something for her but thanks for your help

Something I do is put Apple Cider Vinegar in my chickens water. It helps to prevent worms and is good for overall health. I'd say listen to dawg53 (because I have no experience in worming a chicken) and do an initial worming then go get some Apple Cider Vinegar and use as a preventative for the future. I think it will help tremendously. Good Luck

Something I do is put Apple Cider Vinegar in my chickens water. It helps to prevent worms and is good for overall health. I'd say listen to dawg53 (because I have no experience in worming a chicken) and do an initial worming then go get some Apple Cider Vinegar and use as a preventative for the future. I think it will help tremendously. Good Luck
I'll be sure to do that, thanks a lot. This is a whole new experience for me so hopefully I can take care of them well enough

Unfortunately ACV wont prevent worms. I've been using it for years and still have to use wormers.

Ah thanks. One of the girls is much younger though and her wattles haven't really come in yet. She wasn't the one who pooped the worms but I've heard everywhere it's best to worm them at once. I guess I'll have to figure out something for her but thanks for your help
Open beak, insert wormer, lol. My peafowl don't have wattles, so I just pry open their beaks and worm them.

From:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
The hole at the back of the tongue is the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!

Please note that I was the one holding the bird and taking the pictures, please use both hands!

• Hold bird - I like to sit with my thighs parallel to the ground, feet firmly on ground and the bird in my lap. I hold it gently, but firmly and grab the head.

• Open mouth and wait for bird to relax.

• Insert syringe - I like to insert from left to right, across the tongue, behind the trachea, into the oesophagus. Again, wait for the bird to relax.

• Give wormer

• Repeat in ten days.

Unfortunately ACV wont prevent worms. I've been using it for years and still have to use wormers.
Well I have been mislead to believe this. :/ Thanks for the correction. That only leaves the question of what (if anything) exactly is ACV good for? Just curious.

ChickN00b, I apologize for unknowingly misleading you. Thankfully we belong to an awesome forum with multiple very educated and helpful members. ;) Good luck with the worming.

Back
Top Bottom