So second day in a row that my top hen caught a mouse

Ya it was quite a shock. I never knew they did that I mean come on the chickens in Cinderella didnt eat Guss-Guss they just took all the food from him
gig.gif
Guess I just need to let them be animals. :)

Ya it was quite a shock. I never knew they did that I mean come on the chickens in Cinderella didnt eat Guss-Guss they just took all the food from him
gig.gif
Guess I just need to let them be animals. :)

I know what you mean by being a shock. You should have seen me when my hen first caught a snake - the snake was about 8 inches long and she was running towards me with it hanging from her mouth. It was alive and writhing!!! She was running from the other girls, who were chasing her trying to get it. I hate snakes, so I start running towards the house! Everyone was on the run - the hens, me, the dogs because they just like to run. BUT silly me forgot that the hen was behind a fence and she couldn't get to me with the snake. DUH!

The other hens finally caught up to their sister with the snake and the end result wasn't pretty. They ripped it to shreds and ate it in mere seconds!
sickbyc.gif

My little Plymouth rock hen was so happy and excited when she caught a frog! I love frogs so not too pleasant for me but awesome to see her hopping and clucking like mad :)
I want to try giving them crickets. How do you do it? Just buy them from a petstore? Do you give all of them at once?
Also, if you don't want your chickens to eat mice, it seems the answer is to catch them yourself first, give them a t shirt and hat and possibly teach them to sing?

I know what you mean by being a shock. You should have seen me when my hen first caught a snake - the snake was about 8 inches long and she was running towards me with it hanging from her mouth. It was alive and writhing!!! She was running from the other girls, who were chasing her trying to get it. I hate snakes, so I start running towards the house! Everyone was on the run - the hens, me, the dogs because they just like to run. BUT silly me forgot that the hen was behind a fence and she couldn't get to me with the snake. DUH!

The other hens finally caught up to their sister with the snake and the end result wasn't pretty. They ripped it to shreds and ate it in mere seconds!
sickbyc.gif

HAHA I would have done the same thing. So shocked she didnt choked or something. Chickens are crazy but glad she got the snake. I am worried about snakes in the spring/summer dont want them coming after the eggs :/

My little Plymouth rock hen was so happy and excited when she caught a frog! I love frogs so not too pleasant for me but awesome to see her hopping and clucking like mad
smile.png

I want to try giving them crickets. How do you do it? Just buy them from a petstore? Do you give all of them at once?
Also, if you don't want your chickens to eat mice, it seems the answer is to catch them yourself first, give them a t shirt and hat and possibly teach them to sing?
Ya I go to a pet store and get like 100 they are 18 cents a piece here. Giving live crickets is insane and not everyone will get one (I tried) I threw some scratch on the ground away from my to get them to back up (only worked the first time cause they caught on quick lol) then dumped half out ran over to a different spot and dumped out the rest. Then STAND back lol. My chicken were running hopping doing everything they could to get those crickets it was ssssooooo funny. they were gone in seconds. I give live mealworms to those are always fun

Back
Top Bottom