1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So stinkin' exciting!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by McKenley5, Sep 10, 2011.

1. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    I was in 4-H when I was a kid and I did Poultry Judging. I learned all about chickens and eggs, but there is NO way that my parents would have even considered a chicken living at our house...so I had no idea how much fun and rewarding this could be!!

The 1st one started laying about 2 weeks ago, and now there are 3 of the 6 laying. Everyone should experience this...and the people that complain about others' chickens have apparently never had their own chickens!!

It's like Trick-Or-Treating for adults...I rushed home from work to check the nest box!
    [​IMG]

2. MoonAngel12

MoonAngel12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Central NC
    My only chicken experience before now was one of those Easter pet shop ones and it was mean as could be!

Now, the flock of 10 that I have now (well, 2 flocks of 5 I guess) are awesome! I have young children and they are having a blast with them. I let them free range most of the day and they follow us around, let the kids pet them, etc. The egg hunt is the best though - you never know what you're going to find! Most days for me it's 2 eggs from my 2 older RIRs, but a time or two it's been a rat snake!!, and yesterday I was shocked to find 5 eggs in one nest box - including one itty bitty one. I guess one of my new Golden Comets made her way down to the other coop and helped herself to their nest boxes [​IMG]. I found another itty bitty egg in the new coop today! YAY!

3. kaybats

kaybats Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Yay!!! [​IMG] Your eggs are perfect!

I get excited every single time I collect eggs...I feel like a little kid hoping to get the good prize in the cereal box! [​IMG] And then DO get it when I reach into the nest box!

4. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Do you think this one hurt? It is the first one that has been covered in feathers.
    [​IMG]

5. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Well congrads!!!! I still get excited. I have one that raised babies then went into a light molt (I'm so glad it was light) and just started laying again. I was just as excited as I was with the first. Careful, chicken ARE addiciting. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by