So....talk about.....CANCER SUPPORT THREAD !!

I love the idea of that.
We brooded ours in the house... and it gets really dusty.
I suggest you get one of those heppa floor filters to put next to it. If her O2 is low now, the dander dust won't help. But the chicks will, so do not abandon the idea.

I also found the cheeping started much earlier in the morning than I did.
By the time they were ready to go out into their new coop... I was SO ready for them to go out into their new coop.
But it was fun.

And the dogs were curious but not a problem. That surprised me. I think they thought if the chicks were in the house, they must be family, and we do not eat family.

While I will never trust dogs around birds, and I'm sure you don't either - predator/prey thing being unpredictable - I love that last sentence!
smile.png
I have been able to train my cats through the years to never harm squirrels, despite their initial inclination to do so. I regularly feed the squirrels and talk to them and my cats seem to sense they are family and from then on do not bother them. The squirrels seem to be able to read the intentions of my cats vs. other cats and react completely differently as a result of that read - they avoid other cats and will play with and lay beside, mine - it's pretty cool
smile.png
. JJ

Dad passed the 27th of last month, and I've still not had my chance to just sit still. Luckily we were all together, including my aunt, his sister who was here in town. Grandma, and Mom are now in Olympia, and so is my sister. I don't really know what else to say, other than I'm glad his struggle is over.

With Dad and Grandpa gone, they must have really needed a bridge and roads in the big place in the sky, I am not a Godly man, but I believe there is something after this world. And it is a better place. Both Dad and Grandpa were civil engineers and built roadways, including many major interchanges where I grew up and in the Seattle area and for that matter across the state. I like to think those two are up there arguing over the structural needs of a bridge over the river of life. And Grandpa is out fishing everyone. It's been a hard month, and today is one of my hard days, but life shall go on. I miss them both. I've been driving Dad's truck, that I am about to receive from my Mother, and I have been driving Grandpa's truck the last 5 years since he passed, and I still own my first truck. It's kind of fun to look out the window and see the three generations of trucks out there, and remind me of them.

End of my blabbering, hope everyone else is doing well!

Times two on the condolences. I think it wonderful you have so many "generations" in your trucks. What a great way to stay close to them. Hope they will stay in the family for a very long time. Please feel free to share some stories of your dad and granddad and those old trucks, we'd love to hear them.

You will hear them in your head explaining a process or warning you off of a mistake.
I would hear my grandfather's chuckles when I would get exasperated
and remember to laugh at the situation myself.

When people say they are always with you, they really are. All the time you spent with them rises to the surface and you will benefit again from the times you enjoyed with them.

I am glad you were able to be there for all them. Rest and recuperate and start back on your journey, It is what they would want. My condolences on your father's passing.

You will hear them in your head explaining a process or warning you off of a mistake.
I would hear my grandfather's chuckles when I would get exasperated
and remember to laugh at the situation myself.

When people say they are always with you, they really are. All the time you spent with them rises to the surface and you will benefit again from the times you enjoyed with them.

I am glad you were able to be there for all them. Rest and recuperate and start back on your journey, It is what they would want. My condolences on your father's passing.

Beautifully said. My condolences as well. JJ

Thank you all.

I do hear them in my head, that is the weirdest part, I was at work building an ambulance, and something Dad says years ago when we did a project popped in my head, and a structure my Grandfather built popped in my head, combined the two of those thoughts and I built a solution for my problem in that truck. I still swear Grandpa is riding shotgun somedays when I drive his Ford, and Dad is still in my head when I get messy in his Chevy lol Just to give you an idea how much I have been going places lately, in three months I have put almost 6 thousand (6,000) miles on Dad's Chevy alone. It's been crazy.

Those three trucks, I keep talking about trading one in, or selling them, and then I see the vehicle I want to replace them, and I can't do it. I just hope, life willing, that I can pass one on to my kid, if I have any, and after that another to my grandkid. So I am resigned to the fact that I get horrible gas mileage, and I love all of them as if they were pets. The good part about three trucks, and me being me, I haul stuff almost every day of the week, so it's not like they are just sitting there. The other thing, I am 6 ft 3 inches, and I am an outdoors-man, so I am no tiny person, trucks are just more comfortable for me. I have a farm, I run a business, I have a day job, and I work hard with those trucks, so they stay.

I have learned a lot in the last few months about life, family, living, I am now propelled in life to make some changes, there are some people that won't be happy about it, and some that will cheer me on, I am going to have to work harder, think smarter, and be tougher then I have ever been, but if it puts me in the good life, I shall be plenty a happy man. I may not have kids, but I am an assistant scoutmaster, and an Eagle Scout, and I can hope to pass some of my knowledge on to these boys, even if I have no kin of my own, so that they become better people than I could ever be, and so my Father, Grandfather, and family will be ever proud of me, and my legacy lives on as strong as the two men I have lost to cancer, that will be my fight against cancer, and No-Shave November, I have a great beard still going from then! lol Now off for a cold beer and a think, a little Steinbeck before bed, and sleep, then my day begins again. Sorry for my rant, just a lot on the brain lately.

That's not a rant, that is more of a brain flow -thingy- and well said.

We do not have to only pass our acquired knowledge just through our own offspring. To spread the wisdom we gleaned from our loved ones to others makes it spread out like a wave of water that a stone was dropped in.
The more we help others the more people they will help. It is how the world becomes a better place.

Back
Top Bottom