So technologically challenged :(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by TheDuckCrew, Jan 17, 2010.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Well last year, around this time actually, i bought myself a laptop and some wi-fi with it. it took up a lot of my savings, but i was so happy to have it. about 6 months later, we lost power and the wi-fi stopped working. since then, i've been trying to hook it back up with no avail. today my dad and i gave it a shot and got NOWHERE as always. ive tried to convince my parents that i can simply not do it, i know an okay amount about computers, but am still completely lost. sadly, i know the most in my family. ive been trying to get some computer literate person here to help, but can't do to my parents. i just want my laptop back [​IMG] i spent sooo much money on it and i worked sooo hard to get it and i want to be able to use it. being technologically challenged really stinks sometimes [​IMG]

2. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    awwwwwww man!!!

on my laptop, there is a button on the keyboard that turns the wifi on and off. maybe it accidently got shut off???? look at your "F" keys... is there a thing that looks like this.. ((( o ))) that circle in the middle should be colored in completely. MAKE SURE that is on first.

ETA: On my laptop, i press and hold the [Fn] key, (it has purple lettering) and then press F2 which is my wireless on and off switch

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    yeah its not that the wi-fi wont connect to the laptop, it won't connect to the main computer, the desktop, that i'm on now. i was told if i could get on the internet on the desktop (which i can't) then its working.

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Quote:OoOoooo who do you have internet through? have you called them and asked them to walk you through it?
    is your laptop showing all available wireless connections? do you see your "home computer" wireless on it?

My mom had this trouble. My laptop was fixed to work with her wireless when i was @ her house. Somehow the password got deleted, and i could never connnect again. Is it the password?

5. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    we've got cox and im sooo clueless when it comes to internet on computers. i was able to hook it up the first time, but i can't anymore. we never installed a password cuz i knew i would forget it! lol. *sigh* i have a friend thats good with computers butttt i don't know if i really want him at my house.....lol

6. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I've had that problem before. sometimes you just have to unplugged the Wireless box that is hooked up to your main computer (we have Netgear and I've done it before when I'm at work with Linksus) . leave it off for 10 seconds, then plug it back in. Make sure all the lights come on that should be on and it should work after you try to reconnect your laptop to the wifi. I know I'm not that technically savvy and it worked for me. I hope you are able to understand my terrible description. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  7. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    yeah i understand it lol, but the sad thing is, ive tried that already [​IMG] ive tried everything i know how to do under the sun, which i do admit isn't much when it comes to computers lol!

8. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    Possibly it's a problem with the wifi itself. The company we have that gives us our internet is Comcast. I called them and they were able to do a diagnostice on the computer from over the phone. Maybe you can try doing that with you internet service company?

9. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    yeah maybe ill give them a call, i feel like its the wi-fi though. considering it was a huge power surge when we lost power and it stopped working, maybe it messed it up some. i have nooo idea.

10. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Do you have a linksys or a netgear?

Try going to http://www.routerlogin.net even if internet isn't working; you should be able to reconfigure your settings

Also, take a pic of the lights on your router and show it, because that could give us some info.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by