so tell me, how hard is it to learn to knit?

sdshoars

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Texas
i can crochet decently, although i havent done so since i was 14 or so... and i saw a really pretty knit scarf, and i was wondering how hard is it to learn? i will have to teach myself, as there is no one around to teach me how... i think i can find a video on you tube or something, and read... but will it be hard to teach myself?

It is really easy. I taught myself from a $4 sampler book that had like 1 page on learning how to knit. I am making a scarf right now too. But I am just doing a straight knit stitch and no purling or anything like that. I bought a simple practice yarn to work with for practicing other patterns etc. so I can get the patterns/stitching right. But honestly, once you get the rythym(sp?) down it is really easy.

Happy learning!!!

It's pretty easy... I recommend going to youtube and looking for videos as they are often much easier to understand than illustrations. But I did learn from a 1970's how to pamphlet.. LOL Since learning crochet though... especially amigurumi, I've lost a lot of interest in the knitting
tongue.png
But if you like doing large pieces, I think knit would be the way to go
big_smile.png

I've got a vintage knitting sampler afghan book that I could make copies of if anyone would like
smile.png
It's really neat and I hope to make it someday
smile.png

I learned to knit by googling "learn to knit". There are dozens of websites with good instructions. For example: http://www.learntoknit.com/home.html

Also
, I would recommend looking for stores in your area that sell yarn and knitting supplies. Many of them offer classes, and most have staff who can help you if you're having a problem figuring something out - often for free. There's likely a knitter's guild in your area as well. The members are an invaluable resource.

Sdshoars, I think most people can learn from the books and videos available. Some may be a little easier to follow than others. If you have any specific problems, you can just ask for help here. Being able to ask other knitters for help is a great resource, when you're having trouble.

A forum can actually be better than a person that's teaching you at times, because sometimes individuals only know how to do things one certain way. If that way isn't working for you, that's a problem. Online, you have the benefit of people that hold their yarn in different ways, cast on in different ways or have tips for particular problems you may have.

Freshegg, what part did you have trouble with? I would love to help you!

Could you get your stitches cast on the first needle, to start?

Did you just have trouble knitting your first row, using the second needle? Making the actual knit stitch?

Did you just have trouble holding the needles and yarn or getting the stitch tension even? That was my biggest problem in the beginning!

It's ok if you don't want to talk about it. I don't mean to be pushy. We might be able to help you, though, if you want. I would love to help anyone that's having any kind of trouble with their knitting.

I think one of the best things about knitting is that you can make some really great things, using only simple stitches. If you want to, you can learn more and do more advanced things. It can be as easy or as intricate as you want it to be. There is something for every skill level.

I think you just need to sit next t someone else who is knitting every day for a few days. This could be a relative or friend, but it could also be at any knitting store, where they usually hold cheap classes or just allow you to mooch around if you buy some yarn every now and then . . .

Like most things, it is so much easier to do when youve watched a while and had gentle corrections than it would be from any book or video.

best o luck

Back
Top Bottom