1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So, Tell Me, Would You Want Hatching Eggs from This Breed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by speckledhen, Apr 10, 2007.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I am thrilled with the looks of my Blue Orpington pair I hatched last time and I now have 9 more in the bator due to hatch in about 10 days. The plan was to sell hatching eggs in the future from the Blue Orps. For those of you who dont know much about chicken genetics, blue mated to blue gives you 50% blue chicks, 25% black and 25% splash color. So just testing to see what you think of these. They are now 10 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Freebie

Freebie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I think they are beautiful!! And while I may not purchase any fertile eggs, (don't have a incubator, and am not sure if my broody hens will do well) I may buy chicks at a later time. I don't have any room for anymore right now. But definately in my plans for the future.

3. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

[​IMG]
    Stop tempting me!! Blue is my favorite color!

4. speckledhen

It sure is mine, at least in chickens, Carri! In my current hatch, I have some Blue Ameraucanas from show quality stock. Yep, hooked on blues!

5. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:Yep, in chickens!! OOOhhhhh Blue Ameraucanas.... I LOVE them. I'm jealous! [​IMG]

6. zimmy

zimmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Orlando
    Oh, they're beautiful! [​IMG]

7. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

Oooooh, I think they're gorgeous!! [​IMG]

What do the black and splash look like? Is there any correlation between the percentage of color dispersal and the sex of the chicks -or is it still 50/50 throughout all the color possibilities?

8. speckledhen

If I understand what you're asking, the sex of the chick has no bearing with the blue gene. If you mate blue to splash, you get 50% blues and 50% splashes. I hatched one splash cockerel and a black one; here is the splash:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 11, 2007
  9. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    BEAUTIFUL!!

I would so love to have some like that!

10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my gosh!!! These are beautiful!!! And you have blue ameraucanas on the way??? I absolutely love my Ameracucans!!!

I think I need to make another coop. . . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by