So the elders aren't looking at the babies with disgust anymore

3chickchicks

Songster
9 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Utah
I caught my original flock laying against the chicken wire next to the babies (8 weeks old) and the babies laying next to them. Both parties looked pretty content. This is only day three of being able to see but not touch. Boss hen isn't complaining anymore either. Thank you Lord because she has the most unpleasant squawk!

Anyone else with babies as well?

That is awesome. All of our babies (except for 2) have been integrated successfully into the big flock. The 2 not in the flock are being raised by a broody hen. They free range through the day and go back to the brooder box at night. Most of the time....twice now they have went to a tree to roost at night
barnie.gif
. These 2 chicks are like wild. Not sure how they are going to do in the flock, but has to happen soon, as winter is coming.

That is awesome. All of our babies (except for 2) have been integrated successfully into the big flock. The 2 not in the flock are being raised by a broody hen. They free range through the day and go back to the brooder box at night. Most of the time....twice now they have went to a tree to roost at night
barnie.gif
. These 2 chicks are like wild. Not sure how they are going to do in the flock, but has to happen soon, as winter is coming.

How old are yours?

I'm thinking about trying to integrate them this week. I may slip them into the coop at night and then get up before the adults do and supervise.

How old are yours?

I'm thinking about trying to integrate them this week. I may slip them into the coop at night and then get up before the adults do and supervise.

My babies are somewhere between 2-3 months old. I cannot locate my calendar this morning
barnie.gif
. I will look for it tonight when I get home from work. The nighttime "slip them in" is a good idea. Are they near the adults now? Mine free range together & I will move them to the back in a crate so they can see each other more before I mix them.

Last edited:
My babies are somewhere between 2-3 months old. I cannot locate my calendar this morning
barnie.gif
. I will look for it tonight when I get home from work. The nighttime "slip them in" is a good idea. Are they near the adults now? Mine free range together & I will move them to the back in a crate so they can see each other more before I mix them.

That's about how old mine are, closer to two months.
They are in a sectioned off part of the run. The adults free range and they come and go as they please. Whenever they come back to rest or for feed or water, they see them. Nobody has been trying to peck them through the chicken wire.
I wanted to integrate them soon but in exactly a week I leave for a short vacation. So I'm thinking it may be better to just wait. It'll let them get a little bigger.
My neighbor is going to take care of the birds for me while I'm gone. He has his own flock but he's less experienced than I am (I've only had chickens for a year and a half) and integrating some so young probably needs a very watchful eye.

I have about the same amount experience. We started out with 6 hens, acquired 2 roosters less than a month later & then I hatched out a bunch of babies. Then I was hooked
love.gif
. Then a friend called us and had to get rid of her flock. Then more babies. Then we bought some from breeders and some from feed store to get some of the breeds we want. At some point in the past 2 years, we had almost (if not) 100+ chickens. So, we started out realistic and then dove in head first. Now here we are. I have done some butchering here recently. Getting ready for winter. I will not feed roosters all winter this year. We are somewhere around 50 chickens. I do not count. But I can tell when one is missing!

Back
Top Bottom