so the tails are smaller on the roos

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AHappychick, Apr 21, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    when they are feathering in??? I am so confused could some one help me here? is it true the tails of the boys are smaller because they feather in slower even though in the end they obviously get longer/bigger? and if I cant wait for them to grow older can I get a reasonable idea of their sex using this method?

2. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    In some breeds the males seem to feather in a little more slowly than pullets. Do you know what breed your chicks are?

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Mine definitely are. They're practically still fuzzybutts while their sisters are growing feathers all over!

RIR Pullet (taken yesterday) Today she practically has a feather mowhawk down her back!
    [​IMG]

RIR Roo (taken today)
    [​IMG]

They are about 11 days old.

ETA: I just noticed the date on my camera is wrong. It's about 12 hours behind and it says 2099!! lol

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  4. Lach Cnoc Farm

Lach Cnoc Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Western Washington
    I had some banty mix chicks a while back, ALL the females were almost fully feathered while the boys were still fluffy on their backs, they matured much slower than the girls, the tails grew slower also. combs are easier way of knowing, the boys were very red, even before they were fully feathered. but all chickens are different!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  5. fcoop

fcoop Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    Melbourne
    This is what mine were like, which are still not sexed, however i was told that the pullet feathers faster... im at 5 weeks, still not sure, they look kinda similar too, was told either sex links or RIR's...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by