So they are going to do it again

Me too
wink.png
but i just want a silver pied male a pretty one
love.gif
I have what i need here to make more if i can aquire a male
wink.png

From where will come the second We gene (White eyes) from Manu ....?

Very likely, Nanu's father is Pied w/ 1 copy WE, and his mother is Silver Pied with 2 copies WE. He hatched from an egg I sent to KKB. He must be carrying at least a single copy.

Nanu's father

Nanu's mother

A sister from several years ago.

@Dany12 you have much interest in the "silver" genetics. What is your opinion of this coloring on wing feathers?

This is not bad photo quality, the feathers have this faded washed out appearance in person. Would you call this "silvering"?

Yes, it's silvering !

Like here in the foreground a Spalding silver Pied .... with silvering and in the background a blue peacock Pied ... normal!

Yes, it's silvering !

Like here in the foreground a Spalding silver Pied .... with silvering and in the background a blue peacock Pied ... normal!

If the bird has silvering, but is not 90% white will it still be a "Silver Pied" ? Some say the bird must be 90% white.

If the bird has silvering, but is not 90% white will it still be a "Silver Pied" ? Some say the bird must be 90% white.
I thought silver meant that in peacocks will have silver feathers on their backside where they are normally green in a regular IB along with being mostly white
idunno.gif

Not my photo i found it on google images

Last edited:
I thought silver meant that in peacocks will have silver feathers on their backside where they are normally green in a regular IB along with being mostly white
idunno.gif

Not my photo i found it on google images

This is why I am asking. I was always told a Silver Pied must be 85-90% white, carrying 2 copies of White Eye, and have the Silver dusting on the feathers. I have one that is most definitely not going to be 85-90% white, but he looks like he will have the WE, and the silver dusting, so I am wondering what to call him.
idunno.gif
Those are his wing feathers in the photo I posted, very silvery.

As posted on Leggs Peafowl web page.

The origin of the Silver Pied Peafowl started around 1992; Silver Pied is a pattern mutation, not a color mutation. The color on the Silver Pied bird is the same as on a India Blue. Silver Pied is a combination of the Pied and the White-Eyed gene working together with the White gene. These Silver Pied birds originally showed up in three flocks, one bird from each flock, across the United States around the same time in 1992.
silver1.jpg

India Blue Silver Pied Pair
silver2.jpg

Black Shoulder Silver Pied
What is known today is that all three original birds trace back several generations to one bloodline, White-Eyed peafowl. The White-eyed peafowl, birds with white eyes in the train, founding breeder was Ernie West of California.
The White-eyed peafowl was later bred with the India Blue Pied, which is recognized today as India Blue Pied White-Eyed.
When breeding the India Blue Pied White-Eyed to itself for some years its like this variety compounded itself with the white gene and then created the new pattern mutation, Silver Pied. Essentially the Silver Pied is a White bird with 10% to 20 % color on it compared to a India Blue Pied White-Eyed bird that is a colored bird with 30% to 40 % white on it.
What seems to be the link that helped create Silver Pied were the White-Eyed peafowl, which traces back to the White peafowl. Without the White-Eyed peafowl there would not be any Silver Pied peafowl today.
silver3.jpg

Purple Silver Pied
silver4.jpg

Cameo Silver Pied Genotypically, the Silver Pied males have White-Eyed feathers in the train. Phenotypically, the Silver Pied males can have pure White feathers in the train. This is because the White gene has mask the White-Eyed feather in the bird. Genotype is the genetic make-up of the feather. Phenotype, is the visual make-up of the feather.
Of the three original birds, which were all males, some carried the Black Shoulder gene as well.
About 2 to 3 years later the Silver Pied pattern showed up in the Black Shoulder peafowl.
It was thought of how beautiful the Silver Pied pattern would look in other colors of peafowl such as Cameo or Purple.
silver5.jpg

Spalding Silver Pied
Due to the extensive work by some breeders for several years, today the Silver Pied peafowl make up the following varieties:
  • India Blue Silver Pied
  • Black Shoulder Silver Pied
  • Cameo Silver Pied
  • Cameo Black Shoulder, Silver Pied
  • Purple Silver Pied
  • Bronze Silver Pied
  • Spalding Silver Pied
  • Peach Silver Pied.
  • Opal Silver Pied
  • Midnight Silver Pied
  • Midnight Black Shoulder Silver Pied
  • Spalding Jade Silver Pied
Like all pied breeding, there is varying amounts of white on the birds. Generally speaking the birds are 80% to 90% white with the other percentage being color. The mantel or top of the shoulders appear silver as the peacocks mature. The peahens are the same pattern as the males except the color on the body are silver and white. When these birds are hatched they appear white with usually a dot or two of color on the back of the head and neck area; some times a small patch of color on the back or wings. There are variances in the pattern on the chicks as well.
As with breeding any pied pattern of peafowl the ratio is 1-2-1. When breeding Silver Pied to Silver Pied you get an average of 25% white, 50 % Silver Pied, 25% Dark Pied “White-Eyed”.
It’s been 15 years since this pattern mutation came in existence. They are as popular now or even more so than in the beginning. There is more work being done to make the Silver Pied Pattern in all the new colors of peafowl. Hope this helps everyone understand the Silver Pied peafowl.
e-mail: [email protected]

Back
Top Bottom