So this is a lesson learned, be careful integrating chicks!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ginormous chicken, May 17, 2011.

1. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    I thought I would let everyone know that I had 4 top hat variety chickens in a brooder. They were all hitting about 5 1/2 weeks and I wanted to put the older looking ones out. So, I scooped up the houdan and the Gold Laced Polish and put them in the coop with some 6 week olds. some 7 week olds, and 4, 12 week olds. They all share a brooder. Everything was fine. I found the houdan alone outside the run, but everyone else was free ranging around. I locked everyone up at night and the houdan was asleep with the smaller chicks. Sun. morning I wake up and found the poor chick pecked to death. I think once they saw blood they don't stop. I find it strange the Golden Laced polish which is the same age did fine with its peers but the poor houdan didn't make it.

I now know when putting new birds in, not to be so brash and blase about it. I am waiting until the 2 other top hats get older. It is a silkie and a Sultan. I guess we all gotta be really careful putting together birds that weren't raised together.

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Mine did the same thing. 1 dead and 2 badly injured. I have discovered that my little adult roo will supervise them while they freerange and break up any fights. He plucked a few feathers out of the two bullies but he seems to know not to hurt the babies.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Wow that stinks [​IMG] thanks for sharing your lesson though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by