So today I introduce my new chickens to my old

Auntsally

Chirping
Nov 3, 2020
I have had my new chickens 6 !
separated from my old ones them being 6
they were put in a pen , within a pen so they could see each other for over a week , they didn’t seem to take much notice through the fence off each other ,
so last night! when it was dark , I put them all in the same house !
I woke up this morning , before day light, to check and stayed with them while they all came out all was calm , first 20 min , nothing !
they were just feeding and scraping in the soil as usual..
from my old hens , I have Elizabeth , who’s definitely the boss off that group!
and the new group , it was flower, so watched carefully with them two after , being quiet high on pecking order off there own groups !
20 mins they came across each other , then bam 💥 it went off was horrible not one would back down , I could not cope any longer , probably wrong thing to do , but I grabbed Elizabeth up off the floor , kept hold off her for about 10 min , flower just then trotted off ! When I put Elizabeth down she went straight back at flower again massive fight brutal no one backing down !!
again! I grabbed flower this time !
While holding her I was googling what to do , it said don’t interfere !🤦‍♀️ My heart can’t cope so again I put her down ‘
then again! it took off! it felt like 10 minutes !
was so stressful , then Elizabeth stopped turned her back and walked off flower still at her ass pecking as she was walking away she chased her for a while ! then they broke in different directions, I do have a lot off space ! So there not in each other’s faces , enough space to move out off each other’s view I’m now worried and won’t come indoors sat in the rain incase this continues , again will they as soon as there in ear shot off each other start again ? Or will this be it the end!!! ? Because ! Elizabeth backed away ! or will she go back for more? Is she now lower in the pecking order ? , and not go there again ? Don’t think I can cope seeing that again, will definitely have to separate them permanently , that’s not what I want as the same thing will happen when I put them in serious thought one off them was going to be seriously be injured or killed , I’m hopeing that’s the worse off it ,

Personally I think one week is not long enough. I would do exactly what you did before, just for longer. When you do integrate them, make sure there are multiple feed / water stations. This nastiness is all about resources... their instinct is telling them to protect it.

I have had my new chickens 6 !
separated from my old ones them being 6
they were put in a pen , within a pen so they could see each other for over a week , they didn’t seem to take much notice through the fence off each other ,
so last night! when it was dark , I put them all in the same house !
I woke up this morning , before day light, to check and stayed with them while they all came out all was calm , first 20 min , nothing !
they were just feeding and scraping in the soil as usual..
from my old hens , I have Elizabeth , who’s definitely the boss off that group!
and the new group , it was flower, so watched carefully with them two after , being quiet high on pecking order off there own groups !
20 mins they came across each other , then bam 💥 it went off was horrible not one would back down , I could not cope any longer , probably wrong thing to do , but I grabbed Elizabeth up off the floor , kept hold off her for about 10 min , flower just then trotted off ! When I put Elizabeth down she went straight back at flower again massive fight brutal no one backing down !!
again! I grabbed flower this time !
While holding her I was googling what to do , it said don’t interfere !🤦‍♀️ My heart can’t cope so again I put her down ‘
then again! it took off! it felt like 10 minutes !
was so stressful , then Elizabeth stopped turned her back and walked off flower still at her ass pecking as she was walking away she chased her for a while ! then they broke in different directions, I do have a lot off space ! So there not in each other’s faces , enough space to move out off each other’s view I’m now worried and won’t come indoors sat in the rain incase this continues , again will they as soon as there in ear shot off each other start again ? Or will this be it the end!!! ? Because ! Elizabeth backed away ! or will she go back for more? Is she now lower in the pecking order ? , and not go there again ? Don’t think I can cope seeing that again, will definitely have to separate them permanently , that’s not what I want as the same thing will happen when I put them in serious thought one off them was going to be seriously be injured or killed , I’m hopeing that’s the worse off it ,
Did either of them seriously injure each other?
It sounds like Queen Elizabeth ceded the throne to Flower. They may have another go round if Elizabeth decides she wants her crown back or if she forgets she lost it to Flower. As long as no one is seriously injured, leave them be and give them plenty of space to maintain a relatively peaceful flock.
Putting out multiple locations of food and water help keep rivals away from one another.

Last edited:
Did either of them seriously injure each other?
I sounds like Queen Elizabeth ceded the throne to Flower. They may have another go round if Elizabeth decides she wants her crown back or if she forgets she lost it to Flower. As long as no one is seriously injured, leave them be and give them plenty of space to maintain a relatively peaceful flock.
Putting out multiple locations of food and water help keep rivals away from one another.
Yes I put multiple feeders out and water I’m still out watching them there was no blood drawn no injuries suprise there were not as it did look brutal

I always intervene if things get brutal. Do you have enough space? I would add some “clutter” so there are things to hide behind - but def watch for the first couple of days. If the one hen continues to be a serious bully, I would consider putting her in the separate area for a few days to knock her down a few notches in the pecking order.

Yes I put multiple feeders out and water I’m still out watching them there was no blood drawn no injuries suprise there were not as it did look brutal
This is key.
They need to work it out. You cannot be there all day. They need to establish their status in the newly merged group. The two subgroups will likely take a while to blend.
If you have enough resources (SPACE, food, water, activity) they will generally work it out without serious injury. The more space the better. The more places to get out of the line of sight the better.
Some birds, just like some people, rub each other the wrong way and they will never get along. Some birds just love to throw their weight around because they can. But as long as they have space to avoid one another, the flock can exist in harmony.

I do have a lot off space ! So there not in each other’s faces , enough space to move out off each other’s view I’m now worried and won’t come indoors sat in the rain incase this continues
How much space, in feet by feet, in coop...... and in run?
Dimensions and pics would really help here.

Chickens can be brutal, not fun to watch, but it's how they roll.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Back
Top Bottom