So we adopted a new dog...and now I know what his flaw is: he's a runner....

Ooooh, thats odd, why has the proper word for a female dog been removed from my post?
BYC has a filter, we aren't allowed to curse. Even if you are using the word in proper context. It's to protect the eyes of our younger members.
tongue.png

It helped my boy who was also 2 when we got him fixed. He took off a lot. Now he stays around. The older they get, the less they wander it seems. I can't wait for him to lose a bit of hearing so that the wind doesn't send him into barking fits :oops:

LOL, must just be something in the system that corrects it! Well, he made a run for it in the woods...2x. So....he comes moseying back on his own, but come one, little dog, woods with bobcats and coyotes? So, after my lunch meeting, I am calling the vet pronto!!! he lost his nuts rights, lol!

Well, October 22 is the DAY..I just got to make sure he doesn't go running off into the woods and getting lost in that time period, lol. He literally came strolling back about 15 minutes after he darted off, giving me the "Hey, whassup?" look. I can see how he might have been tough for his last owners. I never asked them why they didn't neuter him.

I work out, and am in pretty decent shape, but no one is prepared to run down the block after a dachsie/min pin mix in Ugg boots....in fact,I highly do not recommend.....

Well, October 22 is the DAY..I just got to make sure he doesn't go running off into the woods and getting lost in that time period, lol.  He literally came strolling back about 15 minutes after he darted off, giving me the "Hey, whassup?" look.  I can see how he might have been tough for his last owners.  I never asked them why they didn't neuter him. 

I work out, and am in pretty decent shape, but no one is prepared to run down the block after a dachsie/min pin mix in Ugg boots....in fact,I highly do not recommend.....

:gig

Have you tried tying him? I have an LGD (Maremma X Great Pyr) and they are notorious for running. We tie her to a tire. She can pull that pretty easily, but she can't go fast enough that we couldn't catch her, and if she went for the woods, the tire would get stuck. Obviously a tire wouldn't work for a small dog, but something else that could slow him down would help.

oops, didn't type my message, lol. Our dog, Sophie, takes off when ever we open the door. She just starts running like mad. no directon. 

This^^^^. Sir Wallingford "Wally" slips thought the fence and goes on a walkabout in the woods in the back yard. The one time he got out in the front, he was off like a shot, glibly running through the streets like the fool dog he is, lol. Can't wait for him to mature a little. Between him disappearing, one of my girls getting dive bombed by a sharp shinned hawk, and my daughter not being present on the bus to take her home (she was at school for a writing assign,net), my poor heart and blood pressure have been pogo-ing up and down and back again,

Have you tried tying him? I have an LGD (Maremma X Great Pyr) and they are notorious for running. We tie her to a tire. She can pull that pretty easily, but she can't go fast enough that we couldn't catch her, and if she went for the woods, the tire would get stuck. Obviously a tire wouldn't work for a small dog, but something else that could slow him down would help.

We have done a similar thing with our Great Pyr. It’s called a drag. We chained a length of wood from the dog’s collar. It danged in from of the dog and made it difficult for the dog to run. The one concerns if that the dog can get caught on stuff with on, especially a small dog, possibly becoming strangled. So, we only used when the dog could be somewhat supervised from inside the house.

Jim

[COLOR=000000]We have done a similar thing with our Great Pyr. It’s called a drag. We chained a length of wood from the dog’s collar. It danged in from of the dog and made it difficult for the dog to run. The one concerns if that the dog can get caught on stuff with on, especially a small dog, possibly becoming strangled. So, we only used when the dog could be somewhat supervised from inside the house.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=000000]Jim[/COLOR]
Of course. She is never unsupervised. She's in training - and is only 9 months old - so she has to be watched when out of her kennel anyway.

I have heard of the dangle stick - but have heard it affects development in a growing pup..?

Back
Top Bottom