So we are probably getting a hurricane what to do

thehbcrew

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Long Island
Do i leave the coop door open during the hurricane in case they want to get out and stretch? I'm going to put food and water in the coop usually its under the coop for them, but was curious if i should still leave the coop door open so they can come and go as they please. I guess i will also see how i did when i built the coop.

I'm planning to keep the coop doors and windows closed. The wind gusts will probably be strong and I don't want to lose anyone that way. I'll let them out before and after the strongest winds if there isn't a lot of standing water/flooding.

Quote:
If you`re in the path of the hurricane, lock them up. Make sure nothing can blow away in a strong wind and that includes your coop. Remove all loose articles from your yard. If you have a garage, put the birds inside, even if you have to confine them to a small space. Don`t leave anything to chance and take nothing forgranted........Pop

Gosh, I'm hoping this hurricane is not what they are predicting. Chicken Coops are not often built to withstand 100+ mile and hour winds and 10" of rain. Personally, I would bring them into our garage or a permanent structure but if that isn't possible I would close the door and give them plenty of food and water.

Quote:
If you`re in the path of the hurricane, lock them up. Make sure nothing can blow away in a strong wind and that includes your coop. Remove all loose articles from your yard. If you have a garage, put the birds inside, even if you have to confine them to a small space. Don`t leave anything to chance and take nothing forgranted........Pop

X1000

Our coops and outbuildings are rated to 150mph winds down here, but those farther north don't think about that when they build. Batten down, take no risks, leave nothing loose, and be as prepared as possible.

I would NOT leave the coop doors open. I would bring my hens inside a garage if possible or the house. They are not going to want to get out and stretch in that kind of wind and rain. I have been in a Cat 4 storm and it was devestating. Please if possible get them some strong shelter. I will be praying for all of you in the path of this storm.

no garage here
sad.png
ill just give them enough supply of everything, and hope my building skills are good enough, it's been 25 years since we have had a decent hurricane that actually went through us, they usually get pushed too far east with cold fronts, so we will see. i'd say its a 50% chance that we actually get it unlike our weather forecast. If it does happen and my coop makes it through, maybe i'll build my own garage next year.

No advice here, but wishing you and all of the members on here in the path of this hurricane safe travels! Must be terrifying!!!

Good luck and please let us know how you come through it!

Quote:
Basement or bathroom?

My girls are going in the basement if the storm moves more to the west and hits us here in PA. I put my girls in the bathtub if they arent feeling well and close the curtain. They cant seem to figure out how to get over the curtain and clean up is easy.

I plan to leave mine in the coop depending on how bad it gets. If it looks like it's going to get wretched I still have their pen in the basement for them to hang out in. I'll probably just bring them in anyway just in case.

Back
Top Bottom