So, we have a Mallard... what do we do with it?

billw

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 25, 2011
WA Coast
To pad out a shipment of ducklings, we ordered some mixed ducklings. Looks like we got a blue swedish, a white crested, a khaki campbell, a pekin, and what I initially thought was a rouen. But, that duckling was really small and didn't look exactly like a rouen ducking, so I did a little investigating and found a missing back toe, which is how Metzer IDs mallards.

I never really considered the possibility of getting a flying duck. So, what is the normal practice? Clip wings? Let nature take its course? Can a domesticated mallard compete in the wild if it decides to fly away?

We have ducks for meat, eggs, and pets (not the same ducks in most cases), but I'm not sure where this one fits in.

You can clip its wings if you want. But that means even if it wanted to fly away for the winter it cant and will be heart broken. So I would say dont. Looks like you have a cute little combo... Can you post pics? Please do when you can!

domestic mallards can fly but still have a larger body size and don't fare as well in the wild. also it didnt have wild parents to show it how to behave, find food, and avoid predators. theres a good chance that if you keep it well fed and a place to swim it won't wonder far. i personally would clip its wing to keep it home and safe. not even all wild mallards migrate if theres a good food and water source throughout the winter. ducks only have to be clipped once a year after the molt to keep them from flying.

I have a few recipes it would fit in....
lol.png

This is the breed I have and mine stay home. Now sometimes they get a little excited and try to fly over my house.. so for this reason I clip the females wings and the boy stays on the ground with them. (He is whipped.)
smile.png

It will just stay with it's flock. It won't go anywhere.

I agree with what cbohn80 said.

Mallards don't have to migrate to be happy, by the way. In many areas, they live in the same place all year.

I have a Mallard drake in with my mixed flock. He uses his ability to fly to get out of trouble, but there's no way he's leaving his friends. Chances are your Mallard won't leave in any case. If its a hen, she will probably lay cute green eggs. I have Flea and plan to let him breed Daisy, who lays green eggs and see if I can breed that trait on. He doesn't eat much and he's almost as cute as a call duck!
smile.png

Quote:
Now, that is just plain funny!

I have mallard/call mixes (I think that is what they are...thought they were mallards for the longest time)...they can fly and have from time to time from this part of the yard to that part of the yard, but they have never left.

Back
Top Bottom