So we're going to try & make a formal dress *Latest Pics Post #101*

When my daughter had their prom, we (I) made it together, she picked out the material... well any how, we ended up buying 2 patterns b/c she liked one part from one and another part from the other one... it came out beautiful and no one had the same dress....which is a biggie here...lol
And i made her a shawl with the same fancy material and some fake fur on the inside...good thing, it was like 50 degrees out that night.

hope everything works out. and i love project runway too. just watched a rerun yesterday with Jay, Kari sun, and wendy.....

Melinda
can't wait to see how you're doing..

Quote:
That's a great idea, combining patterns. I've never worked with a pattern yet, we're just going to freehand this one and use other dresses in the house as examples of how to do this or that.

Kari Sun (Kara Saun?) deserved to lose!!! She totally cheated with those shoes!! I was watching it too.. unfortunately, the rain prevented me from seeing the actual fashion week bit, as soon as the first model lined up for the runway, the thunder & lightening buried us for about 40 minutes... enough to see who won, but none of the clothes
sad.png
It was a good season as far as bickering between the groups
wink.png

yeah, she like the top(bodice of the one) and the bottom of the other, the way it fell. then we added lace material on top it give it a little more.

I thought she should have lost too...Kari S. I liked the bickering too, at least it wasn't at my house!!! LOL I didn't get to see the fashion show either, i saw it when it first came on, but can't really remember it.

But I've watched them all, i used to work in a sewing mill for many yrs... I used to make many of my daughter's clothes.
Melinda

do you know the reason your daughter chose the empire waist?

I think the black fabric is beautiful and I think more would be better and an empire waist not have as much of that fabric and since the two colors are so contrasting it may look too much like a black bra rather then the dramatic bodic effect in your original drawing. If you go with the empire waist, you may want to concider adding some of the black fabric to the skirt, maybe just a little touch of it showing on the back side of a leg slit?

Just an opinion, i am by no means a fashionista

Are you considering putting the silver trim under the bustline to highlight the Empire style?
Also consider an A-line front...no gathers..to give a more sleek feminine front. This will accentuate her slender figure.

Quote:
Wow.. really? I take it you haven't been prom dress shopping for a teenager lately. They are OUT OF CONTROL NAKED!!! I mean.. we have serious clothes rules here, NOTHING tight, no midriffs, fingertip or longer shorts & skirts(not even allowed to wear skirts to school), feet covered, etc.. and with formal wear we also have a rule... one point of exposure.. top or bottom NOT both.

This dress seemed like a fine compromise... neck, arms and a little chest and nothing else, including no cleavage!! I should also add she's a slim girl.. 5'7 or so and 125 lbs soaking wet, so there isn't going to be any bulging or excess
wink.png

I agree with both of you. It is adult for a 15 year old but the dresses out there currently for young girls is beyond hoochie.
hmm.png

Thank you everyone again for your feedback.

Empire waist/black material could look like a bra - GOOD POINT!!! We will be watching to prevent that as we lay out the material and will take the waistline down a bit.. maybe a compromise between natural waist & empire waist.

The glitter/stone trim may or may not be used to cover our sewing at the place the skirt & top meet.

A Line Skirt... YES SUCH a great idea... I was wondering how we would continue to have it smooth at the waist & flowy.

The dress IS mature... but I'm hoping we can keep it "covered" because we're fitting & making it ourselves.

smile.png

Not sure if you started or not but when I make formal I always make a quick mock up of a material that does not matter and that was a lot cheeper then those fabrics you picked.

I do all the corrections on this mock dress out of cheeper material then I can work the good material into the perfect fit dress without mistakes or wasted material.

I use the first one for halloween costumes or donate it to the local high school drama club.

Me and My sister did my 3rd daughters prom dress when she was 15 I will have to look up the pics on that and see about posting them. It was a black and white tuxedo dress, strapless with the lacing in the back. I did the mock up in a green material that looked like tree bark with a zipper instead of lacing and the next halloween they used it as a fairy costume.

Jean,
I think your concept is wonderful! I have LOTS of scrap fabrics, and this is a FANTASTIC idea!!!

What's a tuxedo dress, please do try & post pictures. Our first dress concept had this collar around the neckline like a suit jacket... we both loved it but was afraid after an episode of Project Runway that it might be too "old" for her...

Would love to see your pics, and I think we will definitely try a mockup first!

THANKS so much everyone for all the GREAT advice!!!

Definitely get some cheap muslin and make the prototype first. Since you are going to have the dressform you can drape it, cut it, sew it. Then after it's perfect you take it apart and use it for a pattern.

Back
Top Bottom