So what are you doing with all that left-over ham?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by FarmerDenise, Apr 13, 2009.

1. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    As usual FIL brought over a huge ham for us for easter. There is usually only the two of us. Thank goodness stepson decided to join us for easter dinner yesterday.
    Now we still have enough ham left over to feed half the city. Ham sandwiches will be nice for today. I'll be making split pea soup today or tomorrow.
    But I would like some other ideas. Especially ones that don't sound like left-overs. SO doesn't do "left-overs". [​IMG]

2. blueberrylu

blueberrylu Chillin' With My Peeps

Ham & Bean soup, quiches, scrambled eggs with ham, pizza toppings---the list goes on. You can chop it up and freeze it in the amount you would use for such a recipe. It will freeze fine, but it does need to be used up in a month or two, as the amount of water in most hams keeps it from keeping for an extended amount of time. If you use it up fairly soon, it would be just fine. Just pop it in the back of the freezer so SO doesn't realize the yummy food comes from the leftover ham!!!!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Ham dinner, ham dinner, ham sandwiches for a few days then I will make lots of navy bean soup and can most of it.
    By then we should be sick of ham for a while. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have a huge amount of leftover ham, and I LOVE it! I slice what I can, and pack for the freezer in portions for two-

ham steaks about 1/2" to 3/4" thick

sandwich slices

chunks for casseroles

bits for seasoning collards, soup, mac and cheese, etc.

I don't buy the spiral sliced, so I can cut thicker steaks. An electric knife really makes it easy to get the slices, then a boning knife for the rest. The bone is frozen and used for split pea soup when it gets cold. Yum!

5. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    Quiches, Quiches, Quiches, and of course split pea soup
    the freezer will be full up.

6. luvbeagles

luvbeagles Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2008
    Glasgow, KY
    I make au gratin potatoes and add chopped ham to it. Bake it together in the oven. It is very good.

7. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I finished mine off yesterday.. Had ham and beans, ham sandwiches, home egg and cheese omelets.. Fed the fat to the rescue dog and the bone (after making beans ) to the chickens they picked it clean in less then 20 minutes, marrow and all...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by