So what color are these?

buzymom13

I run the Alien Chicken Asylum
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
This is our first year with Guineas... so what color are these? I got them from a feed store and the kid didn't know for sure.

They are about 18 wks or so I think.

54853_100_7876.jpg

54853_100_7874.jpg

54853_100_7880.jpg

I believe that I have 2 girls and a guy. We lost one to the neighbors dog...
sad.png

Thankx!

Those are all Pearl Greys.

Only the Hens will make the 2-syllable "Buck-Wheat" call, males only make the "Chi-Chi-Chi-Chi" yelling/complaining/alarm call (Hens will too tho) and they will both usually make assorted soft peeps and chirps.

Thankx! I've heard 2 make the buckwheat call. And one makes the chi sound.

I think they are so interesting. My kids call them "the noisy ones"... LOL
lau.gif

I can't see the third picture real good but those first 2 I'm bout 100% those are male.
So, in my opinion, you have 2 male and 1 female.
I say that because of the way their wattles are.

Last edited:
Quote:
Wattles are not always a true indicator of sex... I have a couple Hens with cupped wattles (but not as large as a male's cupped floppy wattles) and males with flat wattles (but usually not as small as a Hen's normal sized flat wattle) and some that have asymmetrical wattles - one of each. Wattle shape can be due to genetics, just as much as it can be due to sex, so it's not always accurate. I only rely 100% on the buck-wheat call, or if they lay an egg, then I'm positive I have a Hen, lol. Mature Hens usually sport a "Bustle" on their hind end.

On older birds, no matter the wattle size or shape, the males usually have a more pronounced fleshy bump over the nostrils (I can't remember what that bump is called ATM tho (major brain fade from a loooooong hot day of canning home made salsa and blanching/freezing fresh green beans
th.gif
).

Last edited:
Quote:
Wattles are not always a true indicator of sex... I have a couple Hens with cupped wattles (but not as large as a male's cupped floppy wattles) and males with flat wattles (but usually not as small as a Hen's normal sized flat wattle) and some that have asymmetrical wattles - one of each. Wattle shape can be due to genetics, just as much as it can be due to sex, so it's not always accurate. I only rely 100% on the buck-wheat call, or if they lay an egg, then I'm positive I have a Hen, lol. Mature Hens usually sport a "Bustle" on their hind end.

On older birds, no matter the wattle size or shape, the males usually have a more pronounced fleshy bump over the nostrils (I can't remember what that bump is called ATM tho (major brain fade from a loooooong hot day of canning home made salsa and blanching/freezing fresh green beans
th.gif
).

Oh I know the wattle thing isn't 100%, like I said, the first 2 being males is just my opinion, and I could be wrong but that's just my best guess.
And I agree that their call will be the best way to sex them, but I can't hear them, just see them.

Back
Top Bottom