So What Do You All Do With Your Ducks?

DanceswLabs

Songster
Apr 6, 2010
Wake County, NC
I now have 7 three-week-old Indian Runners. They are fawn and whites from the two adults I purchased from Craig's List. I had initally thought I would sell some of them and add some other colors in the spring. My two daughters and I want ALL the colors! LOL! The problem is that I love my 7 Runners, and they love me. They follow me every where and peep for me if they think there is a possibility I can hear them. I cannot imagine selling them. So what if more of them are drakes than hens? Is it possible to keep a flock of siblings in which there's likely 50% male and 50% female (for those of you who are wondering how that can happen with 7 ducklings, just try to think of the point instead of the math:lol:). Will they become obnoxious like teenagers and make me want to sell them. Honestly, if the poop hasn't made me want to sell them, I don't know what will. So, do you all sell your ducklings or keep them all? What do people do with their ducklings if they decide that they cannot keep them all?

Grr...I hate these types of situations.....even if they were 50/50 male/female there would still be major problems. The recomended ratio is 1 drake to 3-9 ducks. Sorry
hugs.gif

That's what I was afraid of. I wonder if it is possible to keep them separated but happy when they mature?

Dang it!
rant.gif
Who knew I would fall in love with the dirty little buggers and not want to sell any of them? Who knew they would be so adorable and fill the empty space left by my growing human children? Who knew that I would hurry home from any errand just thinking about how much fun we are going to have playing in the yard? I have become a crazy duck lady.
lau.gif

I've had two ducks, Pip and Crackers! One was a boy and one a girl.. but Crackers (Girl) Kept attacking my first chicken, Bell'e and Bell'e got all bloody... so mine are gone but it was SO sad!!!
hmm.png

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Welcome to the crazy duck lady club!!
clap.gif

I have 2 boys and 2 girls from my hatch this year. They are 18 weeks old and getting on fine together.... so far. I know that eventually I will have to rehome one of the boys and have placed an ad online for sale or swap (for a girl). I will carefully vet any new owner as they will be taking one of my babies, and I have not waited until I am desperate so that I have plenty of time to find the right home! it will break my heart though as we raised these from eggs (with a broody's help).

I periodically have a pen just for drakes. They've mostly seemed to do well together, though there are some occasional mix ups with mating attempts. For the most part they just act like buddies and are happy to hang out together. (And they are much quieter than the females and I don't have to try to figure out what to do with all those duck eggs.)

I have a batchelor pad set up for my spare drakes. They get segregated from the females from 12- 15 weeks of age. I have never had an issue with fighting and such to date.

This is so funny, my husband calls me the "crazy duck lady" all the time. The one little call duck I raised in the house gets kisses all the time. I have 4 drakes and 2 hens. When breeding season comes around I'm going to seperate them into pairs in breeding pens and let my extra 2 drakes just run around with the chickens. Usually they won't fight as long as there is no female to fight over.

I have 12 ducks.
8 hens.
No roosters.
All my animals live and play and sleep together. I have 7-drakes and 5 hens. (female ducks).
When the drakes ae in mating season, I seperate the boys and they do just fine. I put the boy's with the chickens.
I never know when mating season begins so I just watch and go from there. If the drakes are getting too rough, i give them a time out. usually for a few weeks.
Right now they all stay together and all is well.....my little rouen duck will fly up on a bale of straw or the nesting box's to get away from the drakes when she needs to.......it's a good life.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom