So what do you do BEFORE you start selling eggs?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
I have three dozen eggs in the frig. right now; with more expected in the morning of course. We may be able to do away with a dozen or a dozen and a half this coming week, if I scratch some of my planned meals and cook an egg recipe instead. We rarely eat breakfast because of our schedule, but we do eat egg recipes for supper. Problem is, while I'm cooking the girls are out there laying more.
I hadn't planned on selling any until spring. I really thought the girls would give me time to order egg cartons, make road signs, etc.
Most of the eggs I'm getting now are medium in size. Some of them are still small and/or the on the long, narrow side.
I told my SO to take them to work and give them to his officers, but he said if he gives them to people we are hoping will be some of my future (paying) customers, it will be awkward to sell them to them later.
I don't have very many egg cartons, again because I thought the girls knew the schedule I had planned.
barnie.gif
I can't afford to order egg cartons until November. Well, I could but I like to pay for my chicken needs out of my own money without asking my SO.
So what do I do with them? besides scramble them up and feed em to the critters.

I buy egg cartons for 25 cents at the feed store down the road. Call a few and I bet they sell some.....

We just eat a lot of eggs..lol. Noodles are a great way to use them up too. Bread pudding is good too. A good desert.
wink.png

Best Wishes!

well, you can break them and pop the empty shells in the microwave to kill off any bacteria, crush them up and feed them back to the hen's for extra calcium.

or, have your SO pass the word around that if anyone wants fresh eggs, bring a carton and $1.50, fill their cartons with eggs, and then bring it back to them.

Another possibilty, do you have any other 'disposable' containers around that might do in a pinch? I give eggs away whenever I've got a surplus to the ladies that run the provicially-funded play centre we go to, and since I never have egg cartons I use the plastic 1.5 L ice cream tubs that the ice cream we eat comes in. We eat too much ice cream
tongue.png
and thus always have a sufficient supply of THOSE. I use crumpled newspaper or paper towels as padding under/around/between/over the eggs.

Good luck and congrats on all the eggs
smile.png

Pat

Thanks y'all. DeCajun, I had thought of that. I'm glad to find out it's an acceptable practice.

You can ask your friends and neighbors to save their egg cartons for you!

When I joined BYC I started saving mine, and getting some from a friend. I have about 30 already.

Or put an ad on Craigslist asking for clean cartons to be saved. Our local feed store has a big box (I mean BIG) of cartons and I can go get some any time I want. They also purchase my eggs if I have a surplus (HA!) then turn around and sell them for $0.25 more. Most of my customers will bring their egg cartons back, too.
smile.png

Quote:
We did this, too. I probably have 30-40 cartons, and mine haven't even started laying yet. Problem is, my dad expects to have his cartons returned full. He sends over the 2 1/2 dozen ones. LOL!!

Hi ! I'm also fr Seagrave!! Do u have many chickens? I m looking for a female peacock if u know anyone selling one thx

Back
Top Bottom