So, what do you do with unwanted roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by naturemom, Jun 28, 2007.

1. naturemom

naturemom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    northern IL
    That's the question that's making me nervous about buying more chicks. This spring, the 3rd grade at the school where I teach hatched some chicks. I took a bunch only after being assured that the farm they bought the eggs from would take them back if need be. I took a total of 7, but gave 3 away after about a week to someone who was willing to take any of them, and lives where roos are allowed. I'm pretty sure those 3 are all boys. I brought one boy back to the farm yesterday (didn't ask the lady what was going to happen to him), and of the 3 I have left, there's only one I'm pretty sure is a girl. If I have to return 2, I'll have to start from scratch again. The trouble is, if I'm buying sexed chicks, I know it's not 100% accurate, and I don't know what I'd do with roos. I live in the suburbs, so I can't keep them.
  2. Cheri

Cheri Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2007
    Dayton, TX
    I got lucky and a man was starting a new farm and he took four of my little boys.
  3. jkm

jkm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Forest Grove
    sent to the organic farm to become procesed dinner. one was grabbed for a flock to be the new boss, my favorte .

roos are food.
  4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    I posted an add in Craigs list a Freecycle, and they were ogne byu the next day!! I was amazed, at how many people wanted/needed roos!!! They all went to homes too, none were dinner!
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I eat mine.
  6. Wally

Wally Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2007
    Texas Hill Country
    I posted them on craigslist and all 7 were gone in an hour. My backup plan was to eat them.
  7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

It's call BAR-B-Q!!!! I'll shuck the corn if you pluck them birds!!
  8. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    I try not to get into that situation. [​IMG] I've had good luck at selling them through the local advertiser and have eaten a few that were just too downright mean to burden another person with.
  9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

I sell them on the net, banties that is, but ive got same problem with my light sussex, if they are roos I will try to sell, otherwise dinner, though I wont process them.
  10. spock78

spock78 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2007
    It's call BAR-B-Q!!!! I'll shuck the corn if you pluck them birds!!

I have the potato salad % BBQ beans to go with the corn. LOL!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by