so, what does everyone do with their "males for warmth" chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bangor777, May 12, 2008.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    I have an ideal order coming thursday, and from what I read there will probably be packing peanuts included. I definitely want a rooster in my flock, but I realize I probably can't have 2 or more of them. So what does everyone else do with their males? Do people eat them? If so, how old before they're dinner? (by the way, with 6 kids in lOVE with these chicks I don't think that's an option for us). I guess mine will go in uncle henrys (a local swap and shop magazine) but I am curious about what other people do.
    Thanks! Oh, and what are production reds? Sorry for all the questions!
    Lori

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I gave mine to the local feed store to sell with the other ones they had. I don't think I could raise them properly for the table. I tried that once before and It was not a good experience.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  4. Grass

Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Salem,Ohio
    i ended up with 4 roo's in group of 12 chicks.i've altready sold one to a person who elected to get all pullets...surprisingly he did get all pullets.the other 3 i'm keeping and going to choose the friendliest one to keep with hens and the other 2 will be for the roaster this fall.

5. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Everybody's got a few farms in the area.....i called around and found a farmer that will take anything i cant keep.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    well i dont ordered but even with hatching eggs you get males(i am a genius today aint i? lol)
    i told my kids (6,5,2) that male chickens are for giving away or dinner. My oldest daughter doesnt have a problem with that because she thinks that boys have cooties anyways !! [​IMG]. They didnt even complain when we gave some bantys away yesterday.

7. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    I was told production reds were like Rhode Island Reds.

8. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    We got 6 awful little suckers from Ideal with our order. I hoped hat we could love them but they were so mean from day 1. We also live in the city so we couldnt raise them for any length of time.

We took uors to the farmers market and planned to give them away for free... they were all gone before i could put the sign up. People want roosters!

It was nicee o have them all go to good homes!

9. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Take them to swap meets

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by