So what is a good deal?

patnjess

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
So I haven't ordered my meaties yet, but I'm gonna. What is good deal for processing? I found a guy who will process in exchage for some of them for himself. He didn't say, what should I offer?

How many birds do you have? Figuring $7.50-$9.00 per bird your cost, folks here pay between $1-$4 per bird to process. Get the deal negotiated before he processes.

Consider also YOUR feed costs. "Figuring $7.50-$9.00 per bird your cost" Is not true for me. Feed in my area for some reason is crazy high, I have called around and 20% feed at many stores is $14 to $16 a bag! So, our bird costs are a tad higher than $9 each.
There is a guy that processes in our area for $3.10 for CX less than 10 weeks, cut and wraped, or $2.60 bagged whole.

I'm planning on going a hundred birds. I thought 15% which would be 15, what do you think? I want to find a mill to get feed ultra cheap

Another guy said he charged $2 a bird, but he skins them instead of plucking. I want the skin, keeps the bird moist right?

I gladly paid $2/bird for plucked whole birds. I did them 50 at a time as a kid and hated it. Killing wasn't bad, but I hated plucking. The fancy plucking machine they use at the small processor here is the greatest invention I think I have seen.
smile.png

I pay $4 per bird...It really depends on your bird costs when you go to butcher.

Find out what he would charge per bird then compare that # to this formula...

X(your cost) * Y(# of birds given away)/100 birds= Butchering cost

Example.

Lets assume your total costs for raising them is $12/bird (INCLUDING BUTCHERING @ $4/bird).

Now lets say you decide instead of being charged $4/bird you are going to give the butcherer 15 of your birds.

Your costs are now $14 (your cost) *15 birds=$210 / 100 birds = $2.10/bird (butchering cost.)

Back
Top Bottom