So, What Is It?!?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hollymh, Apr 5, 2009.

1. hollymh

hollymh *A Scrambled Egg*

Feb 8, 2009
    Texas
    I candled my silkies today and I notcied two have really weird air sacs, there were really bubbly and they moved, they appear to be infertile but it's only day 7 so I'm not 100% sure?! However, I'm cuirous if anyone knows what it is or what causes it??? Thanks!

p.s. they were not shipped, I picked them up locally.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Either infertile, infected or somehow scrambled.

I'd pull them before they blow!

3. cici_p

cici_p Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    I think this pertains to a question I posted.
    I am watching for more answers. . .

4. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    I have had babies grow and hatch in the ones with detatched or large air cells but about half didnt , Id give it a day or two more just to make shure, keep sniff testing the bator to make shure ,
    Good luck

5. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    they arent good. with in 24 - 48 hours you should be able to candle an egg and see if its good or not.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    You can't tell a good or bad egg after 1 or 2 days. The earliest I've been able to see anything developing is 4-5 days. On dark eggs sometimes you can't tell until 2 weeks. I've also had entire batches of shipped eggs have loose air cells and have half develop and half of those the air cell reattached and they made it to hatch. If I'd thrown them out I'd have killed a dozen chicks. I would put any eggs you get with weird air cells up right (pointed end down) in a turner or egg carton and not lay them on their sides.

To get weird air bubbles I would think they would have had to be treated too roughly. Did you pick them up at the farm or meet someone? Maybe the car ride was just too rough. [​IMG] If you don't see anything now on day 7 then they probably are bad. If you have other eggs in there I'd mark any bad ones, recandle on day 10, and throw them if you don't see something growing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by