so what IS the right temp and humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cluck-addict, Aug 6, 2009.

1. cluck-addict

cluck-addict Songster

May 31, 2009
    MN
    I keep hearing variations all over the place. What is the right temp and humidity for chicken eggs?

2. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    There are more experienced folks out there than I am but 99.5 is what you want to aim for temperaturewise. I shoot for 50% humidity for the first 18 days and bump to 60 to 70% the last 3 days. You're right there are different opinions about that but thats what I do and I get fairly decent hatches with my shipped eggs.

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    It really depends on the incubator & other factors. Not everyone will use the same temp/humidity. Easiest way is to try it & find out what works for you based on your incubator, type of eggs, and individual needs.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I agree that the humidity can vary from person to person due to different climates and incubators, but the temps should be the same no matter where you live.....99.5 for a forced air incubator and 101-102 for a still air.

Over the years, I've found that keeping my humidity at 30-35% for the first 18 days and then bumping it up to 60-65% for the last 3 days works the best for where I live. If you're just starting out incubating eggs find some local fertilized eggs to practice on till you find out what works best for you.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: