So when will they start laying? Ringnecks

Well, I cleaned out the pheasant pens today and I found 12 eggs in one pen (2 hens and one rooster). They weren't there the other day on the 13th. COOL! I had created a blindspot in the pen, and these were back in a corner. Re-arranged the pan a bit to elimnate that issue, and I'll search for eggs much more dilligently on a daily basis now.

I'm assuming I should just eat these first few and consider them duds, as we have had a few freezing temp days (20 degrees or so). Pics to follow. Upon looking at the eggs closely, 2 were cracked, so I'll be tossing those.

About how long before I can start to set these aside and getting a batch ready for the incubator?

Hi Dogfish,
If you are quick to get the eggs before they freeze you can start collecting a clutch now. 20 degrees burr! You must be in eastern Washington for those low of temps. Here in Tennessee my ringnecks usually start laying about the end of Feb or early March and our weather here can be below freezing still but never had any trouble with fertility

Thanks TR,

No, we're having a bit of cold weather here in Western WA. At least it has been sunny. Supposed to get snow in the next few days.

I'll check a few times per day from now on. Just found another egg, so that one will be my first egg going into the incubator. I have a few chicken eggs already in the 'bator that need another two weeks, but I have a friend with one, so we'll toss a few into their machine when we have enough for a run.

Back
Top Bottom