so where do you feed oyster shells?

mackenziesmomma

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 7, 2008
I throw feed on the ground and keep a feeder in my chicken tractor. Where do I put the oyster shells?

tia
smile.png

Small plastic coffee can cut to maybe 3 inches deep, couple SMALL holes int he bottom so it can drain if it gets wet and then screwed to the side of your tractor.

I also found small (1 c. or so) galvanized containers with small catches on one side at the local feed store in the poultry area. I leave a mixture of grit and oyster shell in one of these, clipped to the side of the run. The holes in the bottom are a good idea (thanks, antlers), as rainwater can collect in the container if you don't have drainage.

Jen in TN

I used about 3 feet of 4" PVC with a bend at the bottom, and fastened it to the wall. As it levels out after the bend, I cut an opening that's about 3"x6". Then I just dump oyster shells into it, and it's a self-feeder.

Here's a couple of pics:

Side view (I just bolted it to the wall):
10056_chicken_coop-oystershell_feeder__0.jpg

...and a closer view of how I cut out a feeding area (used a RotoZip):
10056_chicken_coop-oystershell_feeder__1.jpg

I've only had to fill it once.

I just got a 4' length of 4" PVC, and elbow, and two caps. PM me if you have any questons.

Last edited:
I just throw it on the ground, along with their scratch grains.

The question I have is ~ how often do you feed it to them? My ladies are just today 17 wks old, & I fed them a couple handfuls last week, ( since they were getting up on the whole egg-laying time of their life), but they finished it off the first day.

So, should I have fed them more? Do they need more? I know the books all say ~free choice~, but when they finish it off, by free will & choice, in the very first day it is given, I begin to wonder just how much of that stuff do they need?

Also, how much is too much with the scratch grains? I have been giving my 13 ladies a few handfuls every day or so, sometimes every other day, and they have a feed hopper that is constantly full, plus we throw in any weeds or garden greens leftover's as well. They seem to self-regulate on the food & water, but since I don't do the oyster shell all the time, & they finished off those 1st doses so quickly, I'm beginning to wonder if they self-regulate on the oyster shell as well or is it like a treat that they pig out on?

~Red

Back
Top Bottom