so where do you feed oyster shells?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mackenziesmomma, Jul 28, 2008.

1. mackenziesmomma

mackenziesmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    I throw feed on the ground and keep a feeder in my chicken tractor. Where do I put the oyster shells?

tia [​IMG]

2. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Small plastic coffee can cut to maybe 3 inches deep, couple SMALL holes int he bottom so it can drain if it gets wet and then screwed to the side of your tractor.

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    I also found small (1 c. or so) galvanized containers with small catches on one side at the local feed store in the poultry area. I leave a mixture of grit and oyster shell in one of these, clipped to the side of the run. The holes in the bottom are a good idea (thanks, antlers), as rainwater can collect in the container if you don't have drainage.

Jen in TN

4. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We have ours in a little metal hopper feeder, like they use for rabbits.

5. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a spot beside a tree I just put it on the ground there they seem to love digging in it.& they go there a lot. [​IMG]

6. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I used about 3 feet of 4" PVC with a bend at the bottom, and fastened it to the wall. As it levels out after the bend, I cut an opening that's about 3"x6". Then I just dump oyster shells into it, and it's a self-feeder.

Here's a couple of pics:

Side view (I just bolted it to the wall):
    [​IMG]

...and a closer view of how I cut out a feeding area (used a RotoZip):
    [​IMG]

I've only had to fill it once.

I just got a 4' length of 4" PVC, and elbow, and two caps. PM me if you have any questons.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  7. HR Patterson

HR Patterson Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Gravity, PA
    We use one for grit and one for oyster shell/eggshell mixed.

[​IMG]

8. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:That sounds interesting! Please do post pics. [​IMG]

9. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    I started using oyster shell not long ago, and i always scatter it all over. They love it!!!

10. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    I just throw it on the ground, along with their scratch grains.

The question I have is ~ how often do you feed it to them? My ladies are just today 17 wks old, & I fed them a couple handfuls last week, ( since they were getting up on the whole egg-laying time of their life), but they finished it off the first day.

So, should I have fed them more? Do they need more? I know the books all say ~free choice~, but when they finish it off, by free will & choice, in the very first day it is given, I begin to wonder just how much of that stuff do they need?

Also, how much is too much with the scratch grains? I have been giving my 13 ladies a few handfuls every day or so, sometimes every other day, and they have a feed hopper that is constantly full, plus we throw in any weeds or garden greens leftover's as well. They seem to self-regulate on the food & water, but since I don't do the oyster shell all the time, & they finished off those 1st doses so quickly, I'm beginning to wonder if they self-regulate on the oyster shell as well or is it like a treat that they pig out on?

~Red

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by