1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

So...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TomGallopavo, Jun 30, 2011.

1. TomGallopavo

TomGallopavo Songster

Apr 12, 2011
    Hillbillyville, MO
    I killed my first eight roosters. I want a cone but don't have one yet and my situation was calling for a number reduction (48 straight run, need ten hens). So I was in my driveway and I had these four cinder blocks stacked up and it occurred to me that I could whack their head on the block and then cut the head off and drain the blood in the bucket. Of course I had to ponder this idea over a few drinks. Now I am not a squeamish guy and have killed many animals hunting but still...So I decided it was humane enough because I don't want to hurt anything...I just want to kill and eat it. I grabbed the first one, a Naked Neck, and calmed and petted it until he was relaxed. I sort of said goodbye and thank you for feeding my family….turned and wacked his head hard against the block. As he was quivering I placed his body between my legs and cut his head off with sharp kitchen scissors. Quickly I held him neck down in a 5 gallon bucket and could hear and see much of the blood draining from his body. It took a little longer than I expected for him to stop twitching. It went well so I did seven more, three naked necks and four Buff Orpingtons…some went more peacefully than others but all and all I am pleased. I have processed many ducks and geese so the rest was as expected albeit easier. I will still get the cone and have not lost my desire to supply my family with eggs and chickens. Now which breed???? I have learned a lot with my first fifty chickens…but that is another post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by