Soaking wet chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rubysmom, Nov 11, 2008.

1. rubysmom

rubysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Oregon
    Is it normal for chickens to stand out in the pouring rain ALL day until they are drenched? My 3 birds have a covered run and a huge, gorgeous coop and they absolutely refuse to go in there, except to lay the eggs and at night when its time for bed.

My husband is a little miffed that they prefer to hang out on the covered back porch or stand out in a monsoon, rather than go into that coop that he slaved three monthes on [​IMG]

Are my birds just nuts? Should I force them to stay in?

Claudia

2. brownie

brownie Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2008
    British Columbia, Canada
    I don't know if it's normal, but if it makes you feel any better my hens do the same thing! I would also like to know why they do this.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Should have thrown them some soap... [​IMG] j/k Mine go in and out from the leanto, kind of like they wait til it's good and wet then go out and eat the bugs and worms.

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Yes it's normal, and they have an oily coat around their feathers, so they are probably not as soaked as you think.

5. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    Quote:this is good to know, when it is raining here i always leave the door open but none of mine will go out they all just stand at the door looking out!

6. I can not keep the chickens in the barn when it rains. I do not know what it is, but they just love it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by