Soaking wet + cold overnight

hagoesch

Songster
Mar 11, 2020
Southeastern WI
Evening! Probably a stupid question but my flock of seven chickens chose to stay outside in the 40° F rain all day and were darn wet finally going into the coop. I thought about attempting to towel off each given our overnight low is expected to be around 37° then decided it'd be more aggravation for them, possibly painful for my molting ladies. They were all huddled in their usual row on the bar, so maybe body heat will be ample... Or should I go back out and try the towelling? Thanks!

Is their under fluff wet?

If they aren’t soaked to the skin they’ll be ok. Make sure it’s draft free where they sleep

It is absolutely draft free, but I did not feel underneath the wings or tummy area. Should I go check and grab the towel if that's wet?

Toweling them will only Matt it down and take away any insulation they may have. Check under wings and under outside layer. I’m betting the down part is nice and dry. I live in Oregon and my broody weathered some terrible rain in the middle of a field, 12 chicks never got wet.

Toweling them will only Matt it down and take away any insulation they may have. Check under wings and under outside layer. I’m betting the down part is nice and dry. I live in Oregon and my broody weathered some terrible rain in the middle of a field, 12 chicks never got wet.

Okay, thanks! I'll go do a test. Their coop is uninsulated and pretty cold, but not drafty. Hopefully all is well ☺️

First time my birds got 'soaked' and looked like 'drowned rats' on the roost on a chilly night,
I stuck my hand under the stiff outer feathers and they were toasty warm and dry next to the skin.
Never worried about it again.

Back
Top Bottom