soaking wet hen, freezing temps

chaase

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 3, 2013
washington state
One of my hens was caught outside during a heavy downpour this afternoon, and was completely soaked. All of the other chickens were in the coop and perfectly dry, which makes me think this hen didn't intend to get this wet.
Normally I do not worry about my chickens getting wet, but the temperature here is at freezing and while my coop is secure and free of drafts, it is not much warmer than outside.

I am worried this hen will not get dry or warm. Should I bring her into the house for the night?

Thanks!

One of my hens was caught outside during a heavy downpour this afternoon, and was completely soaked. All of the other chickens were in the coop and perfectly dry, which makes me think this hen didn't intend to get this wet.
Normally I do not worry about my chickens getting wet, but the temperature here is at freezing and while my coop is secure and free of drafts, it is not much warmer than outside.

I am worried this hen will not get dry or warm. Should I bring her into the house for the night?

Thanks!

Yes! Bring her in immediately and blow dry him thoroughly! Don't put her back outside until tomorrow. Unfortunately, chickens aren't as waterproof as most other birds.

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice!! I was pretty sure that is what I need to do. She is inside now. Will get blow dryer now
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC! Bring her in and use your blow drier to blow her dry, keep her in for the night but she will be okay.

Back
Top Bottom