Soap Makers Help!

Quote:
I soaped at 100 degrees...it was water discounted...but traced so FAST...I turned my back to get the goatsmilk measured....and POOF it was done. I added the goatsmilk and really blended it good....and it seemed to be OK...but when I poured it in the mold...clumps fell out of the bottom of the batch. It's in the mold...I mucked up the tops because I wouldn't leave it alone....but stirring it again and again....seemed to smooth the texture. I've never seen so grainy before.....its one of my older recipes...so that may be the problem. I'm going to let this one gel...as hot as it wants just to be on the safe side.

I'll post pictures....at slice.
tongue.png

OH....and I wanted to tell you I forced myself to STOP buying scents and soap with the rest that I have...and I counted about 100 different fragrances, essential oils...WOW are we addicted. AT least we are selling the stuff and recouping the $$ for supplies. I just did my book keeping...and I broke even for 2009....which makes me feel good! (-;

Lol, I know how you feel! I need to place another scent works order and EOU. I need more Black Raspberry cream, fata morgana and Yuzu Grapefruit (TSW) and more Lavender eo and Almond fo and maybe some lemon eo too (EOU).

Sounds like you had it handled though, can't wait to see pictures. I get that grainy texture sometimes when I soap rose geranium.

So, what scents did you get!

Hi all a nother soaper here. As a matter of fact i need to make some forthe household. Just keep putting it off. I do AO and make salt bars for us using pringles can. No Eos as we both have skin acne. I use a 3 oils forumula that is common works well for us. It is lard, coconut and safflower plus koser salt. One of these day i will get back into the EOs but not while money is so tight.

Welcome Cybercat!

I find some of the essential oils to be very cost effective because you can use a lot less than with fragrance oils. Lemongrass, mint and cinnamon come to mind. I use .25-.5 oz ppo vs .75-1 oz ppo.

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
What happened between 10:07 and 11:08 to change your proclamations at 10:07? You DO have it bad!!! I'm currently overstocked on fragrances right now as well, largely because we're still selling some of the stock from October. I imagine I'll be soaping again in a couple of months then YOU can tease ME about my lack of control!
wink.png

I think it's almost as bad as chickens! I keep putting off getting an order from Ideal, cause I just can't decide what I want to add to my order of meat birds.

Quote:
What are you thinking of? I have a solution for that problem - just live somewhere where you can only have a few.
wink.png
Actually, with the loss of our Penny girl a few weeks ago, we're thinking of getting a couple of babies, perhaps in April.

Now, if you think both chickens and soapmaking are addicting, just try genealogy. See my sig line.
tongue.png
Heck, when I don't have anything to look for on my people, I look for other people's people. Just the other day, I was researching the historical home of a friend to let her know about the person who built her house. When some famous person dies and there's a dispute about when s/he was born, I get to work to see if I can figure it out, and usually have an answer within minutes. Believe me. It's worse, far worse than chickens and soapmaking!

Quote:
What are you thinking of? I have a solution for that problem - just live somewhere where you can only have a few.
wink.png
Actually, with the loss of our Penny girl a few weeks ago, we're thinking of getting a couple of babies, perhaps in April.

Now, if you think both chickens and soapmaking are addicting, just try genealogy. See my sig line.
tongue.png
Heck, when I don't have anything to look for on my people, I look for other people's people. Just the other day, I was researching the historical home of a friend to let her know about the person who built her house. When some famous person dies and there's a dispute about when s/he was born, I get to work to see if I can figure it out, and usually have an answer within minutes. Believe me. It's worse, far worse than chickens and soapmaking!

BYB...are you like my cyber twin...all the way on the other side of the continent?? I've done a ton of research as well...LOVE all the great sites out there now... http://www.progenealogists.com/top50genealogy2008.htm I paid for Ancestry.com and even went to Ellis Island to track some of my family thru NYC. I LOVE it...so addicted. I like the 'find a grave' site...but it still needs a lot of work. IN the last 4 years...we've collected DNA from oldest living males and one female....on Family Tree DNA site....we've HIT so many people like that. It's all networked...and when we get a match the system emails us. It has a map and tags all the locations each dna hit is from...amazing....truly.

OH....I ordered Yuzu Grapefruit, Pepperbirch, Bonsai, Sakura Hana, Black Raspberry Cream, Dragon's Blood, and one other I cannot remember. I haven't ordered from EOU...in forever...maybe I'll pick up a few more.

I am truly addicted...it's bad...but at least I'm booking shows...and selling enough to keep my hobby going! A few other local artisans and I got together and started a collaborative...we pay $20 table fee and bring our wares to businesses and POP up for a day...the owner of the business makes out on table rental fees (we even bring our own tables) and we sell and get the foot traffic. We've got a potter, Tea Company, jeweler, photographer, painter, a few local authors who bring their books and sign them and a stained glass maker. It's working out pretty well...WIN WIN all around. Most business owners look at us like we are nuts at first....but after we've marketed the event, come set up, attract MANY people to their business...they are believers. We've plans to set up in restaurants, churches, public schools, local farms, and my favorite is this next show that benefits a local historical building needing repairs. Our table rental fees will go towards the non-profit preservation society that will refurbish this beautiful old building. There is a HUGE buy local initiative here in New England...and it is really catching on. Who the heck goes into a business and says, "I'll pay you to bring my crew to set up and sell!!" Well....I did...and folks LOVE it! I do ask the business to help advertise the event...by posting flyers, newspaper articles, emails, events on facebook. We are even in the process of working with a few fortune 500 companies locally to come and set up in their cafeteria's to sell to their workers during the holidays...so they do not have to run out during lunch break to holiday shop etc. We're still in negotiations with that though...but they are interested. Shew....I wrote way too much. I cannot WAIT to soap with Pepperbirch and Bonsai tomorrow....they are FANTASTIC! (-;

Last edited:
Quote:
ha ha ha. Or, maybe we're related and just don't know it yet! I've done all the same things you've done with your genealogy. I also have an Ancestry membership, been to Ellis Island, use Find a Grave, and done DNA studies. In fact, in one of our studies, I've dissected a bunch of trees and have traced several of the families back to the same county in, wait . . NEW HAMPSHIRE . . in the late 1600s. This family line came out of Massachusetts after the 1650s, originally from Scotland. I love FTDNA! I also drag my family on research vacations. We've been to Canada, Utah, Vermont, and Illinois for research purposes. Sometimes it's just to see family but other times it's because there is work to do. In Utah I got to spend 2 days at the library there. THAT was fun! I'm happy if I can be in an old courthouse digging through dusty files. Love it!

Sounds like you have a great thing going in your collaborative effort! In this economy, I'm sure they're grateful for the foot traffic into their businesses and it's working out for you guys as well. What a great idea!

BTW, Bonsai is my son's absolute favorite! I do it with tussah noil silk fibres and call it Bonsai Spa. I color it a light sage green with OO infused with comfrey. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Back
Top Bottom