Soap Makers Help!

Okay, so what is the tongue test for lye?
sickbyc.gif

Or, you can lick your finger, swipe your soap and lick your finger again. I tested ungelled soap with the tongue test onetime and it really felt like putting a batterie to your tongue. Not fun!

From what I have read, those tests are not very accurate for CP soap. I have never used them though.

If you are not sure that the soap gelled all the way, I would wait another week or two. Ungelled is fine, it just takes a little longer to complete the proccess.

Now, if you want to make a good man's soap, I would really reccomend a 100% Coconut oil soap with a 20% superfat. My hubby loves it. And it is not drying at all because of the very high superfat. But don't use a severe lye solution. This is a very hard recipe and it will crumble .

And if you did not anchor your orange eo with something like patch, it will fade rather quickly from the soap. I do 3 parts orange to 1.5 parts patch.

Hey everyone! I know I haven't been on here in forever "AGAIN" but I figured I would stop by and say hi. I need to get back on her regularly so that I can get inspiration again.

woot.gif

I've been so busy making soap! I really need more molds. Had a festival today, did ok. Not a large crowd because Willie Nelson was playing somewhere else in town.

My friend and I are working on organizing our own craft show. It's going to be in the mall in College Station. Got a Show in May, june and july and the farmers market is going good and strong.

We need some soap pictures! I will try to get some later.

Ok, here are some of my soapies

Fata Morgana, do you see all that ash on top!! I ususally never get ash and have got it on 2 batches recently!

5920_005425.jpg

Spearmint Eucalyptus eo's with a touch of patch. See where the ash formed on my partial gel!!

5920_006425.jpg

Lily and Canteloupe, Love this scent

5920_007425.jpg

Earth Child, Lemon Orange Lavender and patchouli eo's with yellow and red clay

5920_004soap.jpg

Highlander

5920_008425.jpg

Beautiful soaps, Amber! You've just gotten better and better at that swirling! I
love.gif
it!!!!

I haven't soaped in a looooooong while. We still have a good amount of stock remaining from the fall. That's OK with me right now because my kids' activities have kept me hopping!

Anyone have luck making soap on a rope?

I wanted to insert scrubbie pads or loofas into my soap too.

Or adding oatmeal? I added some to a batch and my husband loves the soap, but it is a little scratchy to me.

Or adding other things to make soaps have more of a sponge like effect?

Any ideas on these things?

I grind my oatmeal in a coffee grinder till it is nice and fine. I tried the whole oatmeal thing and hated it that way.

I have not made soap on a rope, though I do get asked about it, lol.

Have you tried felting soap? Corrie posted a great link that shows you how, I have it listed in the soapmakers reference thread. (see my sig)

Poppy Seeds are great for scrubbies. And so is orange peel. Grits are as very scrubby as well. Look in your local heathfood store and see what you can find.

I have some loofa but have not used it yet.

Back
Top Bottom