Soap Makers Help!

The dark, yucky liquid at the bottom is a classic sign of majorly overheated soap, which can happen with GM soap. You can rebatch it, just make sure everything is evenly incorporated. It won't look quite as pretty as it would have, but it will still be servicable soap. :)

ETA: When you do the next batch, you can pop it in the freezer when you put it into the mold to prevent this. I've actually tossed soap that was already starting to overheat into the freezer and saved it.

Last edited:
I cut into the bars this morning and they smell real bad at this point and they are very wet

Castor Oil 2.00oz 04.8%
Coconut Oil (92 Degrees) 8.00oz 19.0%
Olive Oil 16.00oz 38.1%
Shortening (Vegetable) 16.00oz 38.1%

0% Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) Amount 6.014oz
Ounces of liquid recommended 13.86oz

The ammonia smell is part & parcel to milk soaps. That smell will dissipate.

Why a 0% superfat in your soap? did you weigh in OZ or Grams? Any soap recipe at any size that has a 0% SF or any recipe under 3 lb, should be converted to using grams.

I think your first assumption is correct, that you did not stir the batch fully and what you are seeing is separation. Overheated soaps will bubble out of their mold or cause tunneling in the center of your soap but will still fully saponify.

I didnt superfat because I was adding a bit of cream in at trace. Looking back, I probably got a little too inventive with this batch. I will probably trash it, and try again...of course I will refrain from straying from the recipe.

Freeze the cream along with the milk and use it in your lye solution. One of my favorite soaps used half cream & half pureed aloe vera (both frozen) as the liquid for the lye solution

Still SF at your regular rate.

Don't toss it! Shred it up and throw it into a crockpot with 2 - 2.5 oz of additional Olive Oil. Stir well, when it is all melted and doesn't zap you, then remold it.

Last edited:
when i make my GM soap, i use as much distilled water as i use lye, and add the remaining liquid of GM to my oils. cuts way down on overheating, discoloration and that awful ammonia stink. HTH

karen - soapmaker since 1999

Some of my HP and CP soap (maybe 5 months old?) is starting to sweat, what looks and feels like oil. The bars still work GREAT, but what causes the sweating? Superfatting? Or is it just the normal process of what happens over an extended period of time on the shelf?

Back
Top Bottom