*sob* I had to buy eggs.

Rachel'sFlock

Songster
9 Years
May 21, 2010
Otis, Oregon ~ Chicken People Since 5/10
My egg production is at an all-time low, and last night, I actually had to buy eggs.
Not a high point in my chicken career.
hit.gif

My egg production is at an all-time low, and last night, I actually had to buy eggs.
Not a high point in my chicken career.
hit.gif

hugs.gif
I've been there. Its so hard to buy eggs at the store when you know you should have plenty at home! I always stand there thinking : do I really need eggs this week, I could just wait a week or so. Do you have a light in the coop? I'm in between flocks right now, sold off older and raising up younger birds. I have almost all young adult and our of 20 hens, I only have 4 that are laying.

I'll be joining you this week. We've got one girl in the process of recovering from a hard molt, two others that are half bald, and another who is just starting to leave some feathers about. We've been down to 0-2 eggs/day for almost a month and have exhausted the little bit of an egg reserve that we had to help get us through their molts.

Ah well, what can you do?
wink.png

hugs.gif
I've been there. Its so hard to buy eggs at the store when you know you should have plenty at home! I always stand there thinking : do I really need eggs this week, I could just wait a week or so. Do you have a light in the coop? I'm in between flocks right now, sold off older and raising up younger birds. I have almost all young adult and our of 20 hens, I only have 4 that are laying.
I have been playing that "Do I really need eggs, today?" game since the beginning of August. Of course I had a few in reserve at that point.
I have 9 hens: 1 Broody Mum, raising the future of the flock, 3 who have just finished up moulting and should be starting to lay again at any moment, 4 who give me one between them, a day and one who lays almost every day.
The whole lot of them are having a rest and when they are done, they will lay again.
It is just so hard to have to pay for those pale anemic eggs from the store when I have gorgeous hens at home.
Thanks for the hug!

Sorry.

But wow, your mamma hen and chicks are looking great! So cute. Only about 3-4 months and you should be flooded with eggs!
Thank you! Yes, they are 8 weeks old, today, so yes, they are about 12 weeks from action. By then, everyone will be finished with their rest and be laying again. I will have more eggs than I know what to do with!

I'll be joining you this week. We've got one girl in the process of recovering from a hard molt, two others that are half bald, and another who is just starting to leave some feathers about. We've been down to 0-2 eggs/day for almost a month and have exhausted the little bit of an egg reserve that we had to help get us through their molts.

Ah well, what can you do?
wink.png
Just wait, and be glad to let Nature do Her thing. I want the hens to give me eggs and company for a long time, so I am trying to be patient.
It is just hard, tho.
Hang in there, as well!

Back
Top Bottom