socializing chicks.

SLWyandotte

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Chatom, Alabama
i am trying to socialize my week old chicks so they will be friendly when they are grown. i've started by giving them small bugs from my hand. they always take the bug. they love them. also i am catching them and just holding them in my hand on the litter. i wait till they get still and stop fussing and then let them go. several seem to be responding to this already. i get the feeling from them of "ok fine you got me can i go now?" they don't fuss just stop moving and wait for me to let them go. they don't try to run when i reach for them. is this just a short term gain or if i keep it up will it eventually work.

introduced them to grit today too. some small sand and gravel from my driveway. they seem to love it. they were eating the chick starter too and a few grass clippings i gave them. what else is a good treat for young chicks?

big_smile.png
My fav. way of socalizing chicks. Lay in the grass on your belly and let the lil ones out to roam. When they tucker themselfs out they will wedge themself under you and it gives oyou some real bonding time
big_smile.png
Besides its SO INCREDIBLY CUTE

I want to socialize mine too! They are only a week old today.. when i put my hand in the brooder they all start running away peeping..I put some food on my hands at times and they come eat from my hand.. but want to get them used to being picked up.. I think I perhaps have to wait till they can eat some irresistible treat of some kind..they seem used to seeing my dogs and them rough housing..
is there a specific age where chick socialization should be taking place?

I want to socialize mine too! They are only a week old today.. when i put my hand in the brooder they all start running away peeping..I put some food on my hands at times and they come eat from my hand.. but want to get them used to being picked up.. I think I perhaps have to wait till they can eat some irresistible treat of some kind..they seem used to seeing my dogs and them rough housing..
is there a specific age where chick socialization should be taking place?

I started holding them ASAP and held them multiple times a day every day. It's easiest to do at night when they are particularly calm, or in pairs. Mealworms was an excellent way to break the ice at the beginning. That and taking them out on little mini outings, so they associated me with something pleasurable. Now as adults they love me! They'll come when called, follow me around, let me pick them up, and my BO will even sit in my lap! SO CUTE

Hold them a lot. Mine seemed to all go through a skittish stage around 4-6 weeks but calmed back down after that. If I sit in their coop for more than five minutes two of my BO's will come over and hop and my lap and sit there being petted like a cat for hours if I let them, even while the others are getting treats. My silkies are pretty calm and docile, but honestly it seems more like they just aren't smart enough to be scared than acutually being outright friendly like my big girls.
tongue.png

I've been growing meal worms since last fall, new to it, took longer then I expected to get little babies.
But now my meal worms will be ready for the new babies.

I got my meal worms at the pet store, bird stores have them too.

the more time you spend with your chicks the better. several times a day.

talk to them in a quiet voice. don't chase them with your hand.

some people have made a small dot on their hand with a marker. put your hand down
into the brooder (palm up with the dot) and the chicks will be curious and come
onto your hand to check out the dot!

you can hold a chick in your cupped hands and gently blow onto their neck which
calms them.

we used to feed chicks grapes cut into 1/4's then 1/2's as they grew. just make sure
once you start anything other than chick starter that they have grit available.

so much fun!!!! enjoy.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom