Socializing chicks

sturgeon082

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Hey there we have two plymoth rock chicks that are just over a week old that we have in the house with us under a heat lamp. They are having a real hard time with us picking them up, I pick them up twice a day to clean their teraileum but they still get really stressed about it. Is there anyway to calm them down?
Also do I need to clip their wings? One wants to try and fly! lol

Hi from NC
ya.gif

lol.png

pick them up more often...cuddle them

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from FL!

Your chicks will get used to you picking them up. You can socialize them a bit quicker if you feed them from your hand (chick starter works well). Some chicks learn to fly early, just make sure you have a cover over their enclosure. I would not even try to clip their wings yet.
smile.png

Yes, spend as much time with them as you can. In my experience it takes at least three days to a week to see any changes. We've taken in abandoned feral chicks who are really freaked out at being handled. We don't pick them up at first so much as try and give them hand snuggles while they're still in their bin. Making low pitched comforting sounds seems to help to. Hang in there! I'm not sure about the wing clipping. For our small chicks we keep a mesh screen over the top of the bin that's clipped on. How you handle that will depend on your setup. They will try and fly/jump until they know there's a barrier up there. Our chickens stay close to home when they're free ranging so we don't have issues with them flying somewhere they don't need to be. I think the need to wing clip depends on your situation.

Last edited:
A big Texas-sized
welcome-byc.gif

frow.gif
Lots of answers in the raising chicks section of the forum ... have fun!

28464_temp_pic_file_080.jpg

Back
Top Bottom