1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Socializing chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sturgeon082, Jul 8, 2011.

1. sturgeon082

sturgeon082 New Egg

Jul 8, 2011
    Hey there we have two plymoth rock chicks that are just over a week old that we have in the house with us under a heat lamp. They are having a real hard time with us picking them up, I pick them up twice a day to clean their teraileum but they still get really stressed about it. Is there anyway to calm them down?
    Also do I need to clip their wings? One wants to try and fly! lol

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Hi from NC [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pick them up more often...cuddle them

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Ditto. [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from FL!

Your chicks will get used to you picking them up. You can socialize them a bit quicker if you feed them from your hand (chick starter works well). Some chicks learn to fly early, just make sure you have a cover over their enclosure. I would not even try to clip their wings yet. [​IMG]

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. nubbin

nubbin Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Yes, spend as much time with them as you can. In my experience it takes at least three days to a week to see any changes. We've taken in abandoned feral chicks who are really freaked out at being handled. We don't pick them up at first so much as try and give them hand snuggles while they're still in their bin. Making low pitched comforting sounds seems to help to. Hang in there! I'm not sure about the wing clipping. For our small chicks we keep a mesh screen over the top of the bin that's clipped on. How you handle that will depend on your setup. They will try and fly/jump until they know there's a barrier up there. Our chickens stay close to home when they're free ranging so we don't have issues with them flying somewhere they don't need to be. I think the need to wing clip depends on your situation.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  7. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

8. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

9. Cadjien_De_Louisiane

Cadjien_De_Louisiane SWLA Gamefowl Breeder

Apr 18, 2011
    Welsh, LA
    Hello [​IMG]

10. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG] Lots of answers in the raising chicks section of the forum ... have fun!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by