Soda/Obesity Tax?

What do you think about the Soda/Obesity Tax?

• I support it - it's a great idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm on the fence.

• I'm against it.

• I don't drink sodas.

• Other - specify.

• Total voters

greenfamilyfarms

Big Pippin'
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Elizabethtown, NC
I've seen this on the news in the past few weeks. I've posted on links to some states who are pushing for an 18% tax on non-diet sodas. This is supposed to make people think about their lifestyle choices - similar to what the cigarette taxes are supposed to do. What is your take on this?

http://www.goodeater.org/2/post/2009/02/obesity-tax.html

http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/1663.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,468245,00.html

So, assume that a soft drink costs $1.49 at a local gas station. Then, add state taxes, plus an 18% soda tax. If the drink is purchased in NC, it would cost $1.87.

Last edited:
My take on it is that they are micro-managing our lifestyles and should keep their big fat noses out of people's business.

it's nobody's business how another person lives as long as it isn't infringing on another person's rights.

meri

Quote:
That was my first thought as well. People are already struggling to find a decent job and the prices of everything is increasing. For example, here in NC the state tax increased a full percent this past summer. That really makes a difference when you are trying to purchase things in order to improve the economy.

I think that it just stupid because the only reason that the diet soda is diet is because they add ALOT of artificial things that burns your calories.

Complete insanity. It's wrong from every angle.

How does taxing help the situation? Do people really think it's going to help public health? Don't people understand that the politicians are using this to look like they actually care when what they are doing is using it as an excuse to raise taxes and increase government size and power?

Obesity is a problem, a huge one(no pun intended). Parents raising fat children, in my opinion, are negligent as parents, and downright ignorant. However it is not the governments job to regulate, tax, or pass laws regarding this. I know plenty of fat kids who lost the weight once they became adults. I know a LOT MORE thin kids who got fat when they left home.

No offense it meant to overweight people. I'm 25 pounds over where I should be right now myself and some of my closest friends and family are fat. The unfortunate reality is the weight will reduce their quality of life and their lifespans and that saddens me.

Like so many other issues the government needs to stay the heck out of our lives. Proper education, both nutritional and physical, in our schools can be the most effective method to battle this problem.

Wow! That's news to me... I have mixed feelings. I do agree that the issue of obesity needs to be addressed somehow. It generally gets pushed onto the schools to teach nutrition. But 99% of the time, it doesn't matter what we teach; it's the parents who are the primary role models (at least with younger kids). So we can teach about fast food and pop being bad for you other than as on occational treat, but if the parents are buying it 7 days a week, what kid is going to say "no"? I know kids who drink pop EVERY day...kind of like I grew up on water, milk and oj. I've seen people put it in baby bottles and sippy cups...

On the other hand, if people cut back on pop, or start drinking 0 calorie stuff due to the tax, all that revenue money they were getting will drop off, so they'll just tax something else. So will it be switched to candy bars? Potato chips?

In an ideal world, all people would just use balance and moderation in making all of their choices...but that's not the world we live in. I wish I knew the answer.

LOL...purple chicken...your last statement and my comments are in opposition...

Last edited:
Quote:
The schools fail miserably at this but I do not think it's the teachers' faults. I can't imagine the frustration so many teachers must feel when they have to see these obese kids on a daily basis and are almost powerless to help. Physical education and nutrition are just too low priority and poorly taught subjects, in my experience.

I agree it's 90% the parents responsibility.

Quote:
It wasn't meant to be.
smile.png

Mojo Chick'n :

My take on it is that they are micro-managing our lifestyles and should keep their big fat noses out of people's business.

it's nobody's business how another person lives as long as it isn't infringing on another person's rights.

meri

Just good ol' Uncle Sam wanting more of our $. Like it is really going to go to "the people" nuh uh! Betcha it goes to them to buy more stupid stuff.​

Back
Top Bottom