soft bumble surgery (seems I did the right thing)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickFarmer, Mar 16, 2011.

1. ChickFarmer

ChickFarmer Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2010
    I had my first case of bumble foot. Yesterday I noticed a swolen toe on a young Orpington. I found a blackberry thorn under a scab at the first joint of the middle toe. I removed the scab and thorn then cleaned and sprayed with wound care (without any "cains" in it). Then I returned the bird to the flock. Today after work the entire foot was swolen and hot, and the bird was shivering occationaly. the puncture site was raised and pale. I soaked the foot in warm soapy water, cleaned it well and cut a slit at the puncture site. After rinsing with hydrogen peroxcide I bandaged the foot with triple antibiotic cream. Several hours later after resting inside in the dark the swelling was verry much reduced and boath feet were the same temp. Despite not getting any puss out I feel I did the right thing. I hope it drains on it's own now.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Keep an eye on it. It should be good to go. Sounds like you did the right thing.

I hope she gets well soon. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by